Featured Wood carved man's head, signed. (Maybe not tribal?)

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lucille.b, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Have no idea where to begin with this, but I couldn't leave it at the thrift for $6.

I realize this might not be tribal in origin, but didn't know where else to post it.

It is signed/dated in the back "Dylan SW? MW?" (not totally sure about the letters) and "1980", it's a fairly heavy piece of wood... 7lbs. Measures approx 13" high. Honestly it's almost the size of a real head, just a bit smaller.

Would this be something that was mass produced in any way? Studio or tourist piece? Some crafter? It seems to have some quality, but honestly that's all I got.

So looking for general comments, just to get me started on my search. Or if anyone can find anything remotely similar, please link. Thanks!

(Sorry the first picture isn't in great focus, but you get the idea.)
    head2.jpg

head3.jpg
    There is a section that was repaired or glued. I noticed it at the thrift but decided it was still an interesting piece at the price.

head3b.jpg

head4.jpg

head5.jpg
    The base:

head7.jpg

head6.jpg

head99.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It's a beautiful piece of wood.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's interesting !

Lucille.b, LauraGarnet02 and Rayo56 like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

It is. The image makes me think of an seaman/seafarer or trader. The manner of carving and wood makes me think of some of the Bali carvings I have seen (not a traditional Bali image carving I know) Just my 2 cents

Lucille.b and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I'm not allowed to make jokes anymore...........but I'm just wondering who carved that mouth like that - was he surprised by a bear in the forest?

cxgirl, Lucille.b and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My initial thought was maybe some sort of Indian..........?

cxgirl, LauraGarnet02 and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

I know, that part is unusual. As if he is speaking maybe?

There are teeth carved in from the top if you look from below.

I know... that's what got me too. Not something you see every day.

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

head8.jpg

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Lucille.b

What is the general consensus of quality of this piece? Thanks.

(Mostly wondering if I should continue to research, or just try to sell for ...$50? It does have that spot of damage.)

9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I would think the hair wrap, the head band and that big earring are good clues to the tribal origin of the man depicted in the carving.

For some reason unknown to me it evokes images of South America. I might have something long forgotten tweaking at me.

Anyway, I think you should wait a little bit for more responses.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the piece are that it was made for the tourist/decorator trade, by a non-Native American crafter/carver. The signature is of little help, although it may indicate it was done by a talented student (since it includes a date, which professional artists seldom use in this case.) It might have been a one-off gift.

The face (nose, especially) and type of earrings do indicate a possible South American image, rather than Native American Indian. But it may just be the artist's "interpretation" of an Indian. I agree, it wouldn't be termed "tribal," just an indication of the artist's idea of a tribal image.

Fairly well done, but I doubt researching it further will increase the value any. It just needs to find the right buyers attracted enough by it to want to have it. You should be able to make something on it, but not enough to retire on!

Draft saved Draft deleted