Featured Wood carving of a lady making pottery.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Sep 27, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Vintage, probably not antique. I thought it was pretty nice and a step above the average tourist stuff. Looks Central American maybe? Mexican? Signed Pimenezh? Pimenez H? Hoping someone may be able to help find the carver or narrow down the origin. B7C39CEF-3A03-4349-B1B7-848874D40F52.jpeg 4D7D6918-2861-4289-9B9E-8DEF9D096961.jpeg 11BB064A-B7F8-48F0-8ED3-75C155F0928E.jpeg 2E831CD9-A501-4944-BC53-DD8D96921999.jpeg

2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, look for P Jimenez (a fairly common Hispanic surname). The facial features are suggestive of Central or South America to me.

Linda

3. J Dagger

Thanks! I believe I may have tried that too. Just did again and only get Oaxacan painted animals :(.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

What kind of guitar is that, JD?

LauraGarnet02 and J Dagger like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see Jimenez H.

Debora

LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and J Dagger like this.
  6. sabre123

Possibly II as in, the second.

7. J Dagger

I don’t think that occurred to me when I was researching a while back.

8. J Dagger

Crappy Strat or Strat knockoff. Bought one of each at auction cheap in a lot. Now just need an amp and cord to test them lol. I’m going to have to keep a small one around next time I get one for that purpose.

LauraGarnet02 and sabre123 like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

10. sabre123

I think you can just sell it as is. 99.9% of the time, a guitar will output just fine (unless the pickups are falling out of the body). Play-ability is a whole other story. But for $85-$100, it won't matter too much for a beginner anyhow.

Thanks for the info!

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The II or Junior are typically not used in Spanish-speaking countries because a son never has his father's full name. (Children use two surnames: their father's father's name and their mother's father's name.) If there were lots of Jimenez' carvers in a location, it is not unlikely that a carver would sign with his first surname and the initial of his second surname. Also I do think that the first name may be P. and the artist has incorporated the initial into his surname. So my vote is for P. Jiménez H.

Debora

12. sabre123

Interesting.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Complicated. So a family of four -- father, mother and two children -- have three different surnames between them.

Debora

LauraGarnet02 and sabre123 like this.
  14. sabre123

In light of Debora's insight, maybe do some searches of popular Spanish surnames that begin with an H.

I searched for Jimenez Hernandez and got a bunch of hits.

LauraGarnet02, J Dagger and smallaxe like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jiménez and Hernández are the most common Spanish-language surnames with those first letters. 13th and 12th respectively.

Debora

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

when it's a carving company the H could be for Hermanos, although in Spain they'd abbreviate it as Hnos (brothers).
    this carving doesn't look Spanish.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Hermanos would appear first, not last in Spanish. e.g. Hermanos Jiménez.

Debora

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can I throw in the thought that some Navajo have variants of Jimenez as a surname.

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is a typical North American thing. I don't know of any other country that uses numbering of generations, or junior - senior.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, I've never seen it outside the USA.

Draft saved Draft deleted