Wood cat carving. Recognize the artist by any chance?

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Jul 22, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Ive picked up lots of great stuff recently but I love this little cat. $2 find at a thrift store. Such a cool look IMO. Anyone recognize the artist? Almost looks like there may be faint initials on a foot. Possibly “EB” but I may be seeing things. I believe I found another by the same artist in an image search. Not only is the face/neck similar but it shows a pinned on tail. Mine obviously lacks a tail which is kind of odd and kind of why it looks cool. This would explain it. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious hole where the tails pin would have gone but it could have just closed up over time and been small to begin with. Hoping I may be able to attribute it someone but I’ll love it either way. It seems to have a decent amount of age on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This person is asking $240 which seems quite high to me but who knows.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

BoudiccaJones, J Dagger and Jivvy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like someone was trying to copy Laurel Burch. upload_2019-7-22_17-9-14.png upload_2019-7-22_17-9-32.png

J Dagger and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I just knew I had seen that face before!! Thanks, Pat!

J Dagger and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of towns in like WY and Montana that have numerous carvers. They use a dark heavy looking wood and 'chunkie' carving technique. I've had a couple of similar pieces and the artists bought back their work. It has been a while and my memory isn't very good but I think I sold them a woodchuck, puma and bison. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Patd

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is charming, and agree, some kind of folk carving. I am across the pond, so can be of no help.:sorry:

J Dagger likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Interesting, why do you think they bought it back? Did they have a small output?
    ting

8. J Dagger

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

10. J Dagger

Cool, thanks for the quick education. I've probably seen some of her stuff without really noticing. It's nice but not really my style. Little too shiny, I like the rustic version if it is indeed inspired by her work.
    r

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted