Featured Wood relief carving

Discussion in 'Art' started by jeasta, Apr 21, 2018.

1. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Hi I saw this wood relief carving at an antique shop today and thought it was amazing. So of course I bought it. It is signed Sharpe, and I'm trying to do research on the artist. However the only Sharpe I can find is John T. Sharp (Sharpe), but he mostly carves waterfowl. Also his signatures that I can find online don't really match my carving. Do any of you have any info or know how I can learn more about the artist? Thanks!

IMG_20180421_223313-1518x2024.jpg

IMG_20180421_223318-1518x2024.jpg

aaroncab, judy and Houseful like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Could have been carved by a hobbyist/craftsman,etc. and never see the history of the artist.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely......but you may never know who the artist is....

aaroncab likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

...I get seasick very easily... Oooh...

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I find it strange that it is carved so well and the name looks like gouged in later.
    greg

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe he died without signing it and a family member wanted it signed.....without much of a carving ability!!!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I do find that the ship is carved BEAUTIFULLY, yet there is very little contrast between the background and main subject...........can't tell if there is meant to be a difference between clouds and water.....or not....JMHO......

8. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

This is John T. Sharp's signature, and he is amazing; so I do not think that the signature on mine implies that the artist didn't sign it himself.

H0134-L87904015.jpg

9. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

I thought that the lack of clear separation between the sky and the sea may represent a storm. JMHO :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. komokwa

that's no where near the same signature..

11. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the confusion. I had mentioned in my first post that it wasn't the same signature. I just posted the picture of John's signature to show that the artist's signature can be block letters and that doesn't indicate a different person signed or a lack of ability in the carver.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. komokwa

yes...yes you did.:sorry::sorry:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted