Featured Wooden block plane

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Branka, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Friend wanted to throw these away, so I took them. One is made by Ogontz, and another by Auburn. Any suggestions how to tell if these are still functional or decorative only? There are some cracks and wear. Thanks very much. DFD1BAEC-DF33-4E13-9833-0F31AAD0FB89.jpeg DA004124-FE3E-4E75-82FF-1AF4AC408CD5.jpeg 2E82F425-07B2-4F83-B5D3-FCBC989A3C6A.jpeg
    The blades are rusted but there, seem sharp to me. Thanks

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

In my opinion, these would be fully functional after some reconditioning. However, given that the style is antiquated, I think their main value would be to collectors of vintage tools, rather than as working tools. But they might well have considerable value to collectors.

4. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Thanks very much

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Amazing what people will throw away!! Good for you "rescuing" them :)

komokwa likes this.
  6. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I think they are beautiful. Trying to imagine the strength that took to use the tool, how much wood was worked, all the people that use it. It’s very cool. I may sell one and keep one. It will be nice decor, bit strange but why not. Good conversation item, especially to educate youngsters :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted