Wooden bowl with carved fruit border

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Mar 7, 2021.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

aro2.JPG aro3.JPG aro5.JPG aro7.JPG aro8.JPG

This is a large low bowl, about 13 inches across and 3 1/2 inches tall. Appears to be made from wood, and the fruit border I think is applied in small sections. Paint is well crazed, fair amount of overall wear, blue paint a little bright for my liking but otherwise seems old to me. What do you all think about age, origin, proper search terms?

I've done a fair amount of searching using carved fruit bowl, lacquer fruit bowl, paper mache fruit bowl, and some google image searches. It reminds me of ceramic della robbia wreaths and things and I've done some searching there as well.

This is about the closest thing I've found, not that I'm suggesting my bowl is anywhere near this $1600 frame. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/after-luca-della-robbia-1399-1400-1920736708

Thanks for any help.

kyratango and Danijela Pope like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very Della Robbia as you can see from this rondel.

Debora

images.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I can't remember the name, but there is a Chinese material made out of pressed grass that is super light and lacquered as well.

4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Could be some kind of material like that. It's not super light, weighs 1 pound, 10 oz, heavy enough to be wood but on the light side for wood.

Draft saved Draft deleted