Featured Wooden carved armoire

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Anthonyaaa247, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Anthonyaaa247

Anthonyaaa247 New Member

Hi
    I received this armoire in an estate sale.

Any idea as to how old it could be ?

Or an idea as to what an item of this size and detail could be worth? It is very large and ornate and doesn't seem like something one would find in a department store anymore.

Attached Files:

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Just using Full Image so people can see it.

Screenshot_20231206-000942_Gallery.jpg

kyratango, Boland, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In what country was the estate sale? (I ask because this is an international forum.)

Debora

Figtree3, Boland and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Anthonyaaa247

Anthonyaaa247 New Member

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A beautiful mix of Deco and Renaissance Revival; nice burl and carving. It was probably made sometime between 1920 and 1940.

As beautiful as it is, there is not much demand for furniture such as this here in our ongoing brown furniture depression. And bigger doesn’t mean better. So in my part of the Midwestern US, I’d expect this to sell in the very low hundred$, if at all. Hold onto it and treasure it, if you can!

Figtree3, Boland, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. Really the only thing I can add is that this is likely European in origin.

Figtree3, Boland and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Anthonyaaa247

Anthonyaaa247 New Member

Thank you all for your feedback.
    For now I probably will keep it, but was a bit sad to hear it probably isn't worth more than perhaps $200 dollars.

I have just some more general furniture questions

Is it Ill advised to have a professional disassemble if I want to move it?

Are there two types if wood here or just one? Someone told me this is cherry wood?

I was also told this may have been made in Argentina, which countries in Europe may this be from and what traits signal European vs USA?

It is a regal piece of furniture albeit bulky.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

While I hardly know anything of Spanish South American furniture, I can see this fitting into the general feel of the region, which has a strong Baroque influence.

If it was made in Europe, I would consider Hungary, with that rather heavy flamboyance paired with a fashionable outline (Art Deco).
    But Argentina makes more sense to me.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Argentina, the most European of Latin American countries. Wouldn't surprise me. Seeing examples of massive roperos there. Some Art Deco, some with exuberant carvings, some with a curved form.

Debora

41786c8925304b69b23cabc7fc2d82d3.jpg 149011655_125677439433456_8613902780536165475_n.jpg

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could be Argentina but assumed European since in US. Can't say we see much South American furniture here. Wood looks like walnut burl with solids stained to match. Would think $200 low but certainly under $500 most places at retail . Knock-down armoires are easy to move yourself. Just need to figure out proper disassembly.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Argentina had a big influx of European immigrants. Suppose could be European by way of Argentina.

Debora

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My grandfather was born in Buenos Aires. His father had gone out to make his fortune, ended up dying very young.

There’s a very large Italian community in Argentina, and this does look florid enough for that.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The largest European immigrant group in Argentina. It's even said that Argentinians speak Spanish with an Italian accent.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And then there’s the Welsh!

15. Anthonyaaa247

Anthonyaaa247 New Member

Thank you All for your feedback and expertise!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted