Featured Wooden figure.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Frank, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

A carving I've had most of my life, and my parents before me. I have no idea who she is, or whence she came, but she seems to hint of a European background. Is she biblical or mythological? Was she part of a larger group?
    She's suffered some during her life, but has only become more beautiful. She's always adorned our bookcase or mantel, I haven't asked her age, as that ain't polite, but I'm curious.

She's 13 inches tall, and stands on a walnut plinth that is tapered to help her stand square. P1220683.JPG P1220679.JPG P1220682.JPG P1220680.JPG P1220685.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A Baroque religious statue, and beautiful. It looks like Low Countries or French Baroque, not overly flamboyant.
    Maybe she is the virgin Mary looking towards the cross in anguish, St John would have been on the other side.

Figtree3, Drew, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I've always imagined that her arms would've been held out in supplication. That they are missing in no way detracts from the beauty of the piece.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It even makes you focus on the folds of her garments and on her beautiful face.

kyratango and Frank like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Btw, she would have been gessoed and painted.

kyratango and Frank like this.
  6. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I'd wondered about that. She's varnished, but I haven't found any remnants of pigment. There may be some deep in the folds of her robe, though.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE her and think she's beautiful!!! Please say you never see little piles of "dust" around her base??? I only ask as she looks like there's some "recent" loss of wood that is lighter than her regular finish......which only "could" indicate some live activity in her, which you would not want!!!

Frank and NewEngland like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Very beautiful piece.

Frank likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I think those died a long time ago, especially since she's varnished.

Frank likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

If they're INSIDE, Any, not much stops them too quickly!!! Been there, done that!!!

Frank and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

She has remained completely unchanged as long as I've known her. No evidence of anything causing damage, for which I'm grateful

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. silverthorns

silverthorns Member

Shhhh! Is that a crunching sound I hear?

13. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

That's just me eating chips...

14. Aquitaine

GREAT to hear!!!:singing::singing::)

Frank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted