Featured Wooden Mortar and Pestle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MikeO88, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MikeO88

MikeO88 New Member

Mortar4.jpg Mortar1.jpg Mortar2.jpg Mortar3.jpg Hello everyone,
    I picked this up today and was looking to see if anyone could offer some insight as to its origin/history. It appears to be hand painted as the paint feels "Raised," off the surface.

I cannot identify a makers mark anywhere on the piece.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,
    Michael.

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Please always use the full image button for all your photos always. You can go back to 'edit' and fix them. :)

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. MikeO88

MikeO88 New Member

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Any marks or labels?
    Always give sizes or at least something for scale such as a coin.
    You should always show the bottom of items whether there are marks or not.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. MikeO88

MikeO88 New Member

The mortar is 7" high with an outer diameter of 5" and an inner diameter of 3".

The pestle is 9.5" long.

Both pieces together weigh approximately two pounds in total.
    Mortar5.jpg

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I dunno if this helps at all, but the mortar and pestle were both lathe-spun. This means that they were originally solid blocks of wood, clamped onto a lathe, spun at high speed and then were carved out using chisels. You can tell that by the hole drilled into the base of the mortar (leftover from the manufacturing process).

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how old this is.

Is that a recognisable coat of arms or crest on the side of the mortar? If it is, and if you can ID it, then it might help with finding out where it was made, and how old it is.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Could be a souvenir piece anywhere from the 30s - 60s. - that's my guess and I'm sticking to it.;)

Ghopper1924, judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice Michael, it looks like a folk piece from the Balkans: Bulgaria, Serbia. My guess early - mid 20th century.
    I don't think it is a souvenir piece, it has seen use, crushing red peppers possibly.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Souvenir pieces are sometimes meant to be used;)

10. Any Jewelry

Even by the locals.;)

judy, Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  11. MikeO88

MikeO88 New Member

Well I did some real fast research with the suggestions from this thread and very quickly came up with an Ebay auction for something strikingly similar to my mortar and pestle:

mortar6.jpg

The auction lists it as being from the "Balkans," in origin and lists almost identical dimensions to the one I purchased. Awesome.

Link to the auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152162627249?rmvSB=true

AnyJewelry, what about the piece tipped you off that it was from the Balkans?

I'm going to do some more digging about its history, which I'm having a bit more difficulty with.

Thanks again, very impressive!
    -Mike.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

AnyJewelry, what about the piece tipped you off that it was from the Balkans?

Knowledge.! ;)

13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I suspect it was the decoration on the mortar that indicated the country of origin, but that's just my guess.

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

My mother collected European folk art, and I sang and danced in a semi-professional group specalizing in Bulgarian and Macedonian folk dances for a while. (Don't ask me why, but it was great fun, very energetic, and unusual rhythms.)
    That light golden brown wood is very Balkans, and the decoration is like embroidery patterns, also very Balkans. Then you search your mind for matching embroidery patterns (ethnic dress collecting comes in handy in a case like this), and out come Bulgaria, Serbia.
    If I had to pin it down to a country I would say Bulgaria, and the seller on eBay is in Bulgaria, so I didn't do too badly.:smuggrin:;)
    This is an authentic piece of folk art, it has real character.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted