Wooden object, What was it used for?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by ValerieK, Jun 6, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Hi, I bought this at a car boot just to have the fun of researching it, but the only search term I could think of was "spindle", and that has turned up nothing of this tapered shape. I imagine it had something to do with threads or textiles because of the grooves, but I'm getting nowhere. It is about 10 inches long, beautifully smooth and tactile. It must have some age but there is no damage or any sign of splitting. Just knowing the wood it was made from would be a help. At the moment it's just my thingamajig for use in the craft of something-or-other, please help! Treen - 1 (1).jpg Treen - 1 (2).jpg Treen - 1.jpg

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think it is a yarn spool.

Figtree3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

or a pestle for a chinois

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. ValerieK

Thanks, yes, maybe, I'll have a good search for that. The grooves are a bit fine for yarn but perhaps they would stop the yarn slipping off. Most spools I've seen have caps at both ends to hold the yarn, the tapering seems a bit odd for the purpose, though.

5. ValerieK

Thanks, and I've learnt a new word for a kitchen gadget, a chinois! I think you could be right, I've found one sold on Etsy which looks very similar, also about 10" long:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/270...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
    But I'm a bit puzzled about the grooves, maybe they are just decorative but surely they would trap material and need cleaning, so counter-productive?

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Rayo56 like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I think it's a ...........I better stop right here! ;)

WHAT??????

I was gonna say "Ring Sizer" for a Giant.........:)

Figtree3, judy, Firemandk and 7 others like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

OH, could be - the grooves collect the solids and help pull them out making juicing easier?? Probably not.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What are those plug things on boats called, to secure cables or whatever? Is it one of those?

(Can you tell I live inland?:shame::hilarious:)

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  9. ValerieK

I thought it looked a bit like a . . . so didn't do a Google search for fear of what I migt find! The robot algorithms might think I was shopping, and bombard me with ads I really don't want!

Rayo56 likes this.
  10. ValerieK

I meant "reverse image search", I did search for "spindle", and then later for "chinois, which was more productive.

11. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Could it be for use with one of those big aluminum cone-shaped sieves for potato mashing or fruit mashing and draining when making jellies. Grandma had one and used a wooden piece like that to push everything through the sieve. The left over pulp she used for wines. Or, it might be one of those pieces that Granddaddy use when he spliced those big ship ropes. Cannot recall what they were called. Oops, just came to me--a marlin spike.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cone-shaped sieve - Chinois aka china cap (as above.)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is the chinois TallCakes mentioned.:)
    That's the one I meant!:shame::hilarious:

14. ValerieK

I'm thinking that it is a pestle for a cone-shaped sieve (chinois), a rather large one. I used to make home made tomato sauce, when my tomatoes used to avoid the blight (no longer, alas). The sieve would have to be the right fit, but I think it would work quite well. The only lingering question is about the grooves, maybe just a style choice of the maker. A lovely object in its way, I will have to find a use for it, maybe darning! Thanks to everyone for their input!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted