Featured Woolworths Pieces

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SeaGoat, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

So I bought this little piece a couple months ago at work because no one wanted it and I felt sorry for it. :bored:
    It's been sitting in my extra room since and was just FILTHY.
    Today I had time to soak it start cleaning it and I noticed had a Woolworths sticker on it.

I never knew much about woolworths until they filmed the movie 'hidden figures' in my downtown.

So that's pretty neat...

Anyways, what manufacturing companies did Woolworths sell?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl, SBSVC and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I grew up with Woolworth's and have good memories of the stores.
    I can't help much with which manufacturer's sold their items to Woolworth's except to say that they had some imports from Japan.

I remember the sticky counters at the lunch counter so well. Paper place mats and
    hot dogs with a cold coca-cola for lunch.

Loved the section with the canaries and parakeets,turtles and other small animals.

If I only knew then what I know now, I would have stockpiled a lot of stuff from Woolworth's to sell online.

Hope others can help out more

judy, cxgirl, SeaGoat and 1 other person like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Woolworth's!

Oh my... How many of these poor little creatures did my sisters & I buy, and unwittingly kill with kindness?
    baby turtle from Woolworths.jpg

judy, cxgirl, tie.dye.cat and 3 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

We did the same thing with those turtles.LOL In fact, we had one that got out of our apt somehow
    and was missing for about a month when we found it in the stairwell alive.
    When their shells got soft and squishy, we knew they were headed for turtle heaven despite our best efforts to give them a home.:p

judy, cxgirl and SBSVC like this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The lunch counter had the best bowl of chili and their BLTs were to die for.

My poor mother had tons of glassware as gifts ('cause they only cost about a dime).
    LOL

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

When their shells got soft and squishy, we knew they were headed for turtle heaven despite our best efforts to give them a home.

Exactly, Pearls. I feel so awful about it now!

judy, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my 1st pet was a woolworth turtle....

& that counter top was always clean when we went for lunch...

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Yeah - I never ran into a dirty counter either.

9. komokwa

something about taking pride in your work and a good work ethic .....as I remember ...Woolworth employee....was a good job to have and everyone seemed friendly and helpful.

judy, cxgirl, Messilane and 1 other person like this.
  10. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

After WWII, when Japan was relying on the china industry to get itself back together, they not only made dinnerware, but troodles of little animals. I used to collect the ones that had weird, peculiar, crazy expressions. There was a dear little, cross-eyed beagle, the most incredibly bored horse, a Really Snooty cat...etc.

They were thrown away. Not by me.

judy, cxgirl, Messilane and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Over here, they sold Clarice Cliff and a fair few other decent things, like Homemaker china.

12. pearlsnblume

You guys are lucky the counter was clean. I remember it being sticky from a damp somewhat well used rag they used to clean it off when a customer left.
    But I survived many snacks and lunches at the counter, so it couldn't have been too bad or I had a stronger constitution back then.

judy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

My Mom was a snob: we were absolutely forbidden to eat at Woolworth's (however longingly we might have looked over at that counter!)

Actually, my sisters & I only went to Woolworth's by ourselves, on Saturdays when we were "downtown" for ballet class. I don't remember ever going there with my mother - but, boy, did we love going there by ourselves!

judy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

I also went to Woolworth's without my mother. I would go with my school friends on Saturdays or very rarely with one or both of my brothers and enjoyed being out on my own with my allowance in my purse.
    Ah the good old days.

judy, SBSVC, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't recall our town on LI having a Woolworth's. First I remember being in one was in about 1960 when we lived in Ann Arbor. It was quite memorable since it was so different than any other store I had been inside. Not a frequent stop for us, but it was close to the Hudson's department store that Mom went to occasionally. But the Woolworth's was also near the library, so I did have other chances to peruse the aisles. ;)

16. pearlsnblume

The Woolworth's I went to were in Brooklyn, NY. I didn't make it out to Long Island till I was almost out of high school.

I also got to see some Woolworth's that were out of town when I went on business trips with my father.

SBSVC and judy like this.
  17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

OMG---I spent do many hours in Woolworths ! Would go to spend my allowance...loved the counters full of all kinds of things. And yes...bought my fair share of turtles there too. !

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and judy like this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I also remember Woolworth's well.

We also had another 5 & 10 called Kresge's in town. Anyone familiar with that one?

Woolworth's was considered the "better" 5 and dime of the two....a larger store with a "downstairs" to boot.

Buying anything at Kresge's was really buying cheap. And one really didn't want to admit that they did! LOL!

I worked for a very short time at the Woolworth lunch counter.

I didn't stay too long, as I hated having to wear the required "hair net" which matted down my fine thin hair.......teen pride ya know.
    :angelic::cool:

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  19. komokwa

oh yes.....Kresge's in montreal......but like you say.....we shopped Woolworths !

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and judy like this.
  20. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Woolworth! THE American institution! As children we shopped there as well! I wonder to this day what Mama did with all of those terrible bath salts........but the bottles were "elegant" and they ribbons around them! Oh, luxury!

But I find a certain American justice in the fact that the last controlling interest in Woolworth (USA) was owned by Pia Zadora's husband.............second rate actress, second rate store????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy, pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted