Featured Wootton water colour

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chinoiserie, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I purchased this painting yesterday after convincing myself it was by Frank Wootton 1911 - 1998. I am now not so convinced it is, after doing a big more digging. Frank signed his military paintings in block capitals. However his landscape paintings bear a much more similar signature to the one I've bought. Although still not preceeded by an initial.

http://esm-ltd.co.uk/wolfcms/?artists/frank_wootton_obe.html

Also I can't find a connection between him and scarborough, which is the subject matter here. I have found a painting online with the same signature and style of a beach scene in Scarborough.

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Tindall-s-Ship-Yard-Scarborough/9BA4885C514BBD59D9F487C2D95C8D8F

This claims to be by Frank, however i think that this might attributed to him incorrectly. 20230314_071242.jpg 20230314_071251.jpg 20230314_071256.jpg 20230314_071247.jpg 20230314_071319.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Don't know the Painter,but it's a darn fine ink & watercolor.If this chap's best known as a landscapist,that will bring top $,if military-that will.However if you're as cheap as most of us-either way you prob got a great deal.
    PS-Very few of Us come here to brag about overpaying for something-this is the place to loudly toot one's horn-with gusto !

Chinoiserie and judy like this.
  3. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

Nice painting! I don’t think this was painted by the ‘RAF’ F Wootton either. The lovely note on the back makes me think that your artist is an afficionado of Scarborough and its history and I believe Frank Wootton was south coast. Maybe the local historical society would know.

Figtree3, wlwhittier and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Yes. I agree. The note on the back def puts his roots in Scarborough whereas the the military Frank was born down south and died there too. I like it though so it will hang on my wall for a good while.

wlwhittier and David Broom like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

I paid 30 quid for it, which is more than I usually pay for things. I do get carried away now and then though, and usually regret it.

Ps I think it's pen outline, watercolour and I think it has some pastel in there too.

Figtree3, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's delightful....I'd hang it too.....:happy:

sometimes , you pay up...for something really nice !!!;):hungry:

Chinoiserie and Houseful like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s very fine! I love it and think £30 was a bargain and I’m a total skinflint.

Figtree3, Chinoiserie and Houseful like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's very nice. He did do some landscapes, but it doesn't quite fit his style.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  9. Chinoiserie

Yes. It's completely different to be honest

Draft saved Draft deleted