Working on restoring a 1937 dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Venny, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I admire your work ethic ;)

Darkwing Manor and James Conrad like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I often used a brass brush (like toothbrush) to clean out ribs and crevices when refinishing furniture I never used the steel brushes since they were too harsh and left bad scratches.
    greg

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

Thanks! Used to work on a dairy farm so really this is practically nothing. :D

4. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

Had one and it was in my bag of paint stripping mush I just threw out... Had no idea. But it was a large one so I’ll get a smaller one which should be better anyway. Thanks for the idea!

5. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

I have searched all over the internet and cannot find a single dresser with the same skirting design as this one. It seems if I could find another I’d known the manufacturer for sure, which would also help in finding appropriate replacement handles.

Anyone want to try their hand at it? It would help me out a ton. 0B4E1F06-9451-47C2-A107-01A811A29CB1.jpeg

Rayo56 likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering why the rest of the drawer "skirting" isn't there and all you see is the multi layered plywood?

7. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

I’m not sure I know what drawer skirting you mean. :bored::bookworm:

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

"Molding" (?) or Veneer (?) that covers the plywood. You said the dresser was outside for awhile. Did it get wet and peel off or do you think the plywood showed like that originally?

9. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

Oh! So I was assuming the drawers had plain plywood on the fronts because what I found under the paint was very plain. It turned out, however that someone has covered the entire drawer fronts with wood filler to hide the grain for painting. So I’m working on chipping that away. Underneath is nice oak wood which I will stain.

All the layers of paint and wood filler probably saved the dresser from being destroyed by rain and snow.

I also figured out that one drawer has to go in second because it’s set in farther than the others. So I’m thinking perhaps the grain on the fronts will also match up in the correct order!

Draft saved Draft deleted