Works of Alfred Boucher

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Dory64, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi, does anyone know anything about the works of French sculptor Alfred Boucher? I can only find bronze and marble sculptures, but did he also work in pewter and is his work faked? I have tried googling his name with both "fakes" and "pewter" and can't find anything. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Is what you have marked pewter? If it just looks like pewter, perhaps it's a spelter (pot metal) casting that has lost its bronze finish. Lets see what you have.

judy, Dory64 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi, it's not mine but I'm trying to decide whether to buy it. It's not marked pewter, but the seller has called it pewter. Alfred Boucher did a very similar one but in marble. It's a beautiful piece even if it's a copy/fake.
    Thanks Jacqui Boucher.jpg boucher 2.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Possibly it's from a museum gift shop.

Figtree3 and Dory64 like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the original is in marble and sometimes known as volubilis.
    not unusual that well-sold subjects were copied by the artist and others in other media. here it seems that the artist also altered some details for later editions, e.g. the angle of the shoulders.
    also known as le rêve - the dream.
    ceramics:
    https://www.auction.fr/_fr/lot/alfred-boucher-1850-1934-le-reve-1912-1093974
    here from his museum, different variations:
    https://www.patrimoine-histoire.fr/...ur-Seine-Musee-Paul-Dubois-Alfred-Boucher.htm
    all in all it looks okay, but the material is unclear. more pics needed, especially from the bottom.

Dory64, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. San Fran Phil

San Fran Phil Member

Interesting to remember that once a sculpture is purchased, it can be reproduced by the owner, barring some exceptions for copyright.

This is why it is common to find "Frederick Remington" bronzed in gift store "galleries" and places like Costco.

judy and Dory64 like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ummm, when one purchases art work....u do not purchase commercial rights to the item. ........

Dory64, judy and Fid like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

of course not. the other problem is the different national durations of patents. in Europe there existed small patents for 5 to 8 years that had to be prolonged; if they were not prolonged by the owner, it meant that the original company had no further interest and opened it to the free market.
    then there's the problem of the bequeathed rights that were given to foundations or kept in the family well over the official legal duration.
    and then Costco... and art and antiques ... :grumpy:

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think it was inspired by. It has a very modern sensibility.

Debora

2005_CKS_07076_0106_000(104620).jpg

Dory64 and komokwa like this.