Works of Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Makanudo, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Found one! Gentileschi, The Lute Player

fine-arts-gentileschi-orazio-1563-1639-painting-the-lute-player-1626-AMDJAY.jpg

Makanudo and antidiem like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Now we're cooking!

Makanudo likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hey, Mak!
    Turns out that the process I was playing with is called "vellum sculpting"... popularized by the late actor Anthony Quinn, who studied under some famous artists... might be worth some exploring.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    If you want umlauts use the numbers on the right hand side of you keyboard. Just be sure the number lock is pressed on. Then pushing down on the ALT key type in the numbers listed. Ä is 0196 Ë is 0203 Ï is 0207 Ö is 0214 Ü is 0220 Ÿ is 0159 in case you want small letters use 0228 is ä 0235 is ë 0239 is ï 0252 is ü and 0255 is ÿ.
    greg

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Good going Bev! I thought that one looked familiar too! thanks!

They look entirely hand formed in plaster to me. The stippling in the background of one would have had to be done while it was still wet.

I believe plaster will stick to glass pretty easily. These do not look made from any mold.

Makanudo likes this.
  6. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I would have never connected it with famous paintings. Thanks!
    This puts them in completely new perspective for me. Now I am inclined to believe its a practice work of art student.

7. Makanudo

This method obviously provides new ways to make a form and express movement. I love the texture. Started cross searching with the name and other terms.
    Thanks Gilla!

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I like 3D and mixed media art. More interesting.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I wanted to search for more paintings, but if you type in Renaissance Paintings and click images there are a slew of images where someone superimposed the heads of celebrities onto old paintings. I have to admit, they're pretty clever, but too many to scan.

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Makanudo

Never mind Bev. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for finding the first one. I shall try to find other paintings and hopefuly the author.
    Thanks

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I did a search for "Head of a boy" but the closest one is facing the opposite direction 2007BP0622_jpg_ds.jpg

12. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

After a second view of these posts, it reminded me of a Youtube video someone had posted on Facebook.

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you thank you thank you~~The town I stayed in in Sweden was.....testing myself....... MÖlby! I've always wondered how typing the umlauts was accomplished!
    I shall c/p your post.:happy:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'll go right along with the plaster hand-formed idea. Looking back, I was over-complicating because I had been working on molds myself so much that I was seeing them everywhere, if that makes sense!

15. Makanudo

I am no artist, nor expert, but I can see when certain shape can be done only by fingertips, not spatula. I find this take on reproducing painted art - rather original. It reminds me of certain hand work on some renaissance potery

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I've been to NÖrrkoping, MÄlmo, Stockholm and a few smaller towns in between.

It works!! Except it makes them capitalized, but that's ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted