Worth buying this 70's-80's ceramic platter ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Feb 9, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Saw this at the Thrift today for $19.99.It's about 16" across and is signed 'Hoagland 740' scratched lightly on the reverse,so faintly I couldn't photograph it.The back's an unglazed light grainy texture.
    Do you think I can make a decent profit on this ? Couldn't find any decent comps on Goog Lens,but maybe one of you pros here can-thanks as always ! Hoagland 740 Platter.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I see a couple of scratches and studio pottery is a hard sell at best. That being said,Im always surprised at what people will buy. I dont see a huge profit though at that price.

Figtree3, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  3. bosko69

Thanks for the feedback-all you said Johnny's my dilemma.Will 'earthy' 70's studio pottery be one of the next MCM things & is this Hoaglang guy a known ceramic artist & is big good ?
    PS-Just thought I'd throw the Hoagland name out there because some of our members are miracle workers when it comes to research (stunning really).

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hmm There's Cheryl Hoagland that you could ask. There's a Paul Hoagland but he only started in 2001 and a Alec Hoogland who started in 2016-ish, but their work is not similar or of the period this looks like.

Agreed that Studio Pottery is a tough sell unless it's a known, collected potter. I pick up pieces all the time that I like, and once fell into a $300 piece on accident, but I think it's rare and $20 is a bit steep if you wouldn't keep the piece yourself.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  5. bosko69

If we had a rustic bohemian Sea Ranch style 50's-70's it'd work,but it'd be a chore to hang it-heavy !
    Some MCM ceramics have this earthy vibe,most of course are slicker.The decor market's a slippery slope sales wise.

Figtree3, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I've picked up some pieces that had a solid vintage vibe that I don't have in my home "look," but then they worked surprisingly well in an environment outside of a boring thrift. I think individual pieces can look amazing with wood furniture.

There are sellers who specialize in selling vintage studio pottery, but they have a client base and usually go the extra mile to make catalog-esque staged photos to show them in a decorated environment. Seems like too much work to me!

7. bosko69

Sounds like lots of work to me too.Eventually when the Dealers run out of inventing the latest/hippest kind of decor genre- 'Space Age Miami Proto-Regency',etc-generic Studio Pottery will be more salable,but that might take a while.

mirana and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a bridge too far.....

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. bosko69

I agree w/ you-I don't see much appeal or workmanship in it. I also didn't w/ some Hollywood Regency,'Shabby Chic' or $2000 lunchboxes either. Antiques & Collectibles are a weird amorphous market.I'm just talking profit,not aesthetics.

Draft saved Draft deleted