Featured Worthless Collectables

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few months ago I attended an estate sale with a large collection of several hundred Precious Moments figurines. The auctioneer allowed the first few rounds of high bidders to select their choice of figurines but then started grouping them into groups of 5 to 10. In total the collection probably brought in the neighborhood of $500 (an average price of $2 to $3 each). Based on what I've seen at other auctions I think they were very lucky to even get that much.

Afterwards I was talking to a relative of the former owner of the items and they said that their sister had gotten caught up in the Precious Moments craze spending tens of thousands of dollars collecting the figurines, rushing to be first in line on new releases and going to precious moments collector conventions. According to the relative this was only the tip of the iceberg and the owner had hundreds more Precious Moments figurines in storage units and this auction only contained the ones she had room for in her home before she was transferred to assisted living.

The relative said that her sister would be devastated if she knew that her prized collectables were selling so cheaply and that the relatives planned to soften the blow by exaggerating the prices a bit when telling her the results of the sale.
    Overall the auction was a dud for me, the things that I had my eye on went too high, and no I have no interest in collecting Precious Moments figurines.

Do you have any experiences with worthless collectables such as beanie babies, Longaberger baskets, or precious moments? Is there an item you cringe when you see at an auction, flea market, or estate sale knowing that the owner paid a lot for when they are almost impossible to sell or even give away now?

Growing up, my grandmother thought that she was going to get rich investing a sizable amount of her retirement money into Longaberger baskets about 15 years ago. She also paid gallery prices for several Thomas Kincaid prints. Generally items made in large quantities and aggressively marketed as collectables have almost universally been terrible investments over the years.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have my fair share of McDonalds figures....Bradford plates, ....it was fun collecting them....the plates are lovely and I had an egg McMuffin or two on the way..!

I'm sure the sister enjoyed what she was doing at the time also...!

( maybe that was the wrong auction to place her items..??)

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I read somewhere that things which are DESIGNED/MARKETED to be 'collected' aren't actually worth much and make terrible investments.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lots of collectibles make horrid investments.....but they're fun to collect !

& It's not always possible to figure out which ones....even good ones.....will be a hit down the road.

scoutshouse, cxgirl, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  5. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

We normally avoid auction lots of modern collectables, but as with most things, whether an item is a good investment depends both on market value and price paid. A fellow dealer bought one very large lot of Beanie Babies quite cheaply, sold the rarer ones very quickly for an enormous profit and then sold the rest in split lots at another auction. Long term investment maybe not, but not to be dismissed out of hand as a short term opportunity.

Wedgwood Jasper Ware likewise, most items sell for very little, but rarer modern items, like tricolour plates are highly collected

And as others have commented, collectables can bring a lot of pleasure to the owner, irrespective of investment return

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I buy all the Beanie babies that I can for as cheap as I can. Then send them to our soldiers over seas. They make great gifts to the kids who grow up knowing nothing of peace and safety. Other larger stuffed toys I buy and donate to animal shelters.
    Seeing a dog who was beaten, curled up with a stuffed friend, brings tears to me.
    I often buy old used sheets and blankets and especially pillow cases and donate them to the shelters. It saves money on bedding and paper towels.
    greg

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Greg - what wonderful ideas! I will go and do likewise!

The most upsetting collection I ever saw was that of a woman who had spent years collecting decorated water glasses -- the stemless kind. These were the most delicate, fragile-looking, elegant glasses I have ever seen. They should have been given a home in a museum. Instead the relatives sold them at a tag sale for several dollars each. :(

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh greg what a great idea about the stuffed animals going to shelters. I'm currently trying to pare down the tubs of stuffed animals left behind by my kids and some are not quite good enough to pass on to other kids but animals..yes!

As far as collectibles, there are fads of many things and hopefully those that get caught up do enjoy the thrill of collecting. Investing in, well, most things are a gamble that might not pay off. Real estate? Antiques? It depends on how long you hold on and what the market does.

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Unfortunately many folks had a precious moment right there then gone.
    ~
    I was never really sucked into any of those types of series thingies except for Hallmark ornaments but I wanted those for me, not to collect and hope to sell later. If that happens fine. I did just find an unopened 1976 one which I no longer had. :)
    Books do call to me though. ;)
    As well as drag racing and Navy things and Statue of Liberty items. :)
    Other items too as they strike me. :)
    ~
    I recall a friend who was told that she had a rare Beany sitting on her computer. Sold it for 800!!!! Good for her...... Not the buyer now. :p

scoutshouse, Joe2007 and komokwa like this.
  10. KingofThings

WOW!!!!!
    YAY!!!!!!! :)

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Don't mind when folks chose to collect what I consider worthless, but it really steams me that many of those places tout the value of what they sell. Send (worthless) certificates of authenticity and fool the gullible into thinking they are buying something of value to leave behind to their heirs.
    Had an elderly neighbor who got caught up in buying collector plates. They would send her a lovely notice each time a new plate was about to appear and she would buy the plate and pack it away for her heirs. When she died she had several hundred plates and other "knick knacks" which were of little or no value. I hate American companies whose business model is ripping off their fellow citizens.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Anything by Franklin Mint and Pobjoy Mint and in my case Wedding Cake :rolleyes:

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I only was suckered one time. It was the late 60s and I got caught up with Avon bottles. I had hundreds of the much older stuff like from the 30s even had a box of tissues unopened. Started to buy all the decanters had all of them from about 1959 to 1968. Had a hell of a time getting rid of them. The only thing I made money on was the older stuff from the 30s and 40s. I did clean up on the red glass dinnerware
    My best was 175 dollars for 8 napkin rings which cost me 7 dollars. Then was the Depression glass. Made a great deal of money on that and thought it would never end.
    greg

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  14. KingofThings

I agree, not a basis to do biz for me, but...... Buyer beware. They will come... If they make it for them.
    Even used TP is collectible to those who would. :p
    ~
    Collector plates would do well at skeet ranges. ;)
    There was a stack of them at the Domestic Violence thrift. A place I seem to take more out of than I bring in... ;)
    And I bring them everything plus tell garage salers about the store for when they are done.
    They have a 50cent table at the door and there was about a dozen such plates there.
    I did buy one to check on for I had not seen it before. It is a pretty Noritake anniversary plate for the 2600th.................(!!!) anniversary of Japan.
    States> 'Board of tourist industry, Japanese government railways'.
    It has Mt. Fuji and cherry blossoms on it.

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. KingofThings

There are FM cars with some value though...methinks....

scoutshouse and rhiwfield like this.
  16. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of women today buy Origami Owl. I just smile and shake my head
    That stuff will be worthless in a year.
    It actually becomes worthless the moment they buy it.

Go buy some sterling silver or gold for those prices!

The only thing I collect are pre 1964 quarters and bicentennial quarters (gives me something to do:D) I come across in my change.

Ive learned people dont like dusting so knick knacks are off the table

scoutshouse, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  17. rhiwfield

And bikes.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  18. KingofThings

Never heard of OO...........
    Where's my DeLorean so I can go back a few minutes and change that I have. ;)

19. KingofThings

??? ;) bike.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  20. rhiwfield

Draft saved Draft deleted