Would anyone be able to identify the mark on this ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Erin N, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Erin N

Erin N New Member

ring2.jpg ring1.jpg ring3.jpg Hi Everyone,

I am new here, so please be gentle...and tell me if I do anything wrong ;-)

I bought myself this ring at an antique shop yesterday. It was labeled as 14K, but I cannot find any mark verifying this.
    It does have one mark, I have spent a few hours searching, but I cannot find any information on it....
    Would anyone recognize the mark? Or point me to where I could find it?
    Also any guesses on time period by the style?

I apologize that my pictures are not great...and apparently, I should have cleaned my nails first!

thank you for any help or direction!
    Erin

ring2.jpg ring1.jpg ring3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The only thing thing wrong here is buying a 14 gold ring...you were not certain of !
    :(:(

The pics are fine.........:):)

It's a lovely ring....

let's see what others have to say ! ;)
    ( gentle enough..? :nailbiting:.)

Any Jewelry, BoudiccaJones and Erin N like this.
  3. Erin N

Erin N New Member

ha! Yes;-)

I love it and I did not pay *that* much for it!
    I’m more curious about its makeup and where and when it came from...and I’m not good at leaving it unsolved

Hoping the experts here might guide me .

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

would need a sharper pic of the marks.
    could be Jugendstil/ Wiener Secession. or one of the many Wiener Werkstätte marks.
    if it only serves to exclude...
    upload_2021-1-16_9-58-5.jpeg

Erin N likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Erin, I love your ring. Could you tell us which country you are in, where you found the ring?
    It certainly looks like it could be 14k gold, mounted with what looks to be a glass 'stone'. That combination is not unusual in older jewellery.
    It could be from the same period, but the W is a different font from the Wiener Werkstätte font.
    Most Wiener Werkstätte gold jewellery I have seen had Austrian or Austro-Hungarian assay marks.

Erin N likes this.
  6. Erin N

Erin N New Member

I am having a hard time getting a good picture...actually of even being able to see it ;-) I am going to see if I can find a magnifying glass of some sort.
    I think this might be close.

If I searched correctly the term "Secession" refers to the style of the leaves? Maybe?

thank you!

Fid likes this.
  7. Erin N

Erin N New Member

Hi and thank you! I am pretty happy with it myself - I bought it for my birthday yesterday.
    I am in the US - California. I found it at a little co-op shop that has multiple sellers and a huge array of items. So there is no telling where it originated. The seller was not there, but I will see if I can talk to them.
    I will look up Austrian/Austro-Hungarian assay marks...I only just learned what assay marks were yesterday.

8. Erin N

Erin N New Member

3CF2160D-61EF-4D3D-A8E0-D89660CB81C1.jpeg 71C36C96-B6E0-4611-9722-DA42F0808636.jpeg So I got the ring cleaned and it looks like some other marks are now visible, but I cannot make out what they are. I did get a clearer picture of it though....let me add...

Fid and komokwa like this.
  9. Erin N

Erin N New Member

I finally got a hit...found a few rings with the same marking and it was suggested that it could be White, Wile, and Warner....maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted