Would anyone be able to identify this Asian vase (maybe Satsuma)?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ludo, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Ludo

Ludo New Member

Hi,
    I very recently bought this vase at a flea market in France. The seller had no idea about its origin.
    Looking on Internet, it seems this may be Japanese Satsuma ware. However, I couldn't find any other vase that looked like this one.
    I also tried to identify the mark on the bottom. It seems to start with 岩 iwa. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a mark that matches on Satsuma marks databases.

Does anyone have any information about its origin?
    Thanks in advance

02.jpeg 05.jpeg 01.jpeg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well it is (sort of) Satsuma ware, being earthenware and physically the same material etc - however the name "Satsuma" is reserved for the productions of the Satsuma Kiln and those pieces are usually marked with the clan badge or "mon" ..but you probably are aware of that, right?

Sometimes these "non-official" earthenware crackled glazed pieces are generically referred to as "Satsuma", and that is not TOO far off the mark, but more properly they should be called Japanese earthenwares - early non-Satsuma pieces (e.g. late Edo or early Meiji articles) are often designated as Kyoto earthenwares.

Pots like yours are late Meiji period (post 1900) and owe a certain amount of inspiration to the productions of Taizan Yohei IX, in my opinion the finest earthenware craftsman of late 19thc Japan.

Due to the extreme admiration for his works in the West, many other potters followed in his footsteps - whenever I see the butter yellow pieces I always see the Taizan influence. The quality of Taizan's decoration however is rarely, if ever, achieved by his followers.
    Many collectors prefer the "typical" Satsuma of the greats like Meizan, but in my book, I find the designs and coloration used by Taizan to be so original, precise and inventive that he surpasses all other makers of the period.

Luckily, this year I was fortunate enough to acquire a signed piece, a 15" tall cylindrical vase.

Have a look at his works on Google images -maybe you'll agree. :happy:

Houseful, Any Jewelry, Ludo and 2 others like this.
  3. Ludo

Ludo New Member

Thanks a lot for your reply Blooey :woot: You gave me so much information!

I had a look at Taizan works and I love it.

Once again, thanks a lot! :happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted