Would anyone like to have this poor orphaned fan?

Discussion in 'Give Aways' started by bercrystal, Jan 26, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

A friend purchased this fan framed at the auction last week. She wanted the old oval frame, but really did not want the fan. She promised to bring the fan back to me on Friday.

Unfortunately she found that the previous owner glued the fan to the backing. I told her I had a feeling I could still find it a good forever home among the members of the forum.

Right now the fan measures 12" across by 7 1/4" top to bottom.

I anyone want this piece let me know & if more than one person wants it I will draw names nest Thursday night.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Awww
    Poor fan
    Not for me, Thanks!
    The frame, though... :angelic:

kyratango, judy and i need help like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a shame. The fan shows a scene from the province of Valencia, Spain. Looks old-ish.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ya know - if nobody want's this I'll give it a good home. I'll even trade you a few Franciscan October small bowls for it.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This fan fan loves this fan.:) You can count me in.

I think it is charming, and I agree with Deborah, it is the traditional summer dress of the town and region of Valencia, my favourite in Spain. A bit Goya-like.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,
    Please throw my hat into the draw, I think I have the perfect frame for it.:rolleyes:
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In addition to the costumes, it can be identified as Valencian by that distinctive style of farm building which is called a barraca.

Debora

th.jpg

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not for me, either -- but it looks like it will find a good home! Very pretty...

10. ColumbiaDeb

ColumbiaDeb New Member

It is very beautiful. I would love to have a chance for it. Thanks for the opportunity!

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  11. bercrystal

@gregsglass - just in case you are the lucky winner the cardboard measures 13 5/8" by 10 7/8", although you could probably trim a bit off the edges. :happy::happy:

@Rayo56 - thank you for the offer, but no trades are necessary. :kiss::kiss:

I doubt that Susan would have thrown it out, but I think she was more than happy to not have something else hanging around the house. ;):p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

She is the artist who I have spoken about before that does textile art, but she also does things with "abandoned" family photos. She has an installation where she displays the framed photos that have been embellished with words she has done using letters cut out of old children's storybooks that are well used & sometimes falling apart.

She is always looking for older frames to use with the photos that did not come to her already framed. For instance she bought a child sized steamer trunk a few months back at the auction & it was literally filled with all types of old photos that were just piled into the trunk.

12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ya know, actually I think Greg should have it as he has plans for it.

13. Any Jewelry

I hadn't noticed the baracca yet, that means they are from the 'Huerta', a coastal region around Valencia with cottage gardens. The region of origin of paella á la Valenciana, and the more rural kind of paella without seafood.
    I love that region.

14. Figtree3

Any Jewelry also expressed interest, so I think there will be a drawing!

15. bercrystal

@Rayo56 - It was very nice to offer to back out of this give away & if you still want to that is up to you. However I would still like to hold the drawing this Thursday for the 3 members who have expressed interest in it & anyone else who cares to throw their name in the hat. :kiss::kiss: :happy::happy:

16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll back out - Give Greg better odds at winning.

17. Figtree3

I miscounted earlier. Apologies to @ColumbiaDeb . I hadn't noticed your message. But bercrystal did, which is what really counts!

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Rayo,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    greg

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Rayo56 like this.
  19. bercrystal

Okay but if you change your mind just let me know. :kiss::kiss: :happy::happy:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Welcome to the forum, @ColumbiaDeb .
    Did the lovely fan lure you to Antiquers, are you another fan fan ;)? Or do you love other antiques as well?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted