Would appreciate any info on this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hels Hughes, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Hels Hughes

Hels Hughes New Member

Hi, sorry I 20200704_135041.jpg 20200704_135046.jpg 'm a newbie - I recently had this passed on to me from a relative and would appreciate any info or knowledge you have about its origins, age, what is made of etc please? I know absolutely nothing I'm afraid, would be really grateful, thanks in advance!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Welcome, Hels! You're going to be asked if your piece has any marks. You'll want to look it over carefully and post close-up photographs if you find any. Also, please provide the size.

Debora

3. Hels Hughes

Hels Hughes New Member

Hi Debora, thanks for replying and for the tip! All greatly appreciated! I've looked all over it and cant find any distinguishable marks. It measures approximately 19 inches long by 15 inches high if that's any help to anyone?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hels, as this is an international forum, you might also want to tell us where you found your piece.

Debora

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

That front shoulder/leg assembly is the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time, and the odd modified 'beaver' tail is ultra-strange too.

May we see a photo of the other side to see if the bizarre conformation continues?

6. Hels Hughes

Hels Hughes New Member

Hi all, sorry yes I'm from the UK. Yes, I know what you mean about the leg shape, here is the other side

Attached Files:

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I can see some white patches, could it be painted plaster, or is it metal and cold to the touch?

8. wiscbirddog

9. Hels Hughes

Hels Hughes New Member

Hi, it's metal and cold to the touch, also extremely heavy!

10. wiscbirddog

The rear leg anatomy is all wrong too. From the hock joint, the rear pastern should run directly to the foot - there is no extra 'ankle' joint to attach the foot to the pastern. Someone tried to give this poor critter a 'wrist' on its rear legs.

The comparative length of various bones are not in correct proportion either.

The person who made this figurine has absolutely no idea about canine anatomy.

kyratango, aaroncab and SBSVC like this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

If you imagined that bent front leg straightened out it would be much longer than the other front leg. I think this been an attempt by someone to make a model using other sculptors models (something like this Dubucand sculpture) as references but not done well.

F4783220-45BD-4576-A569-10A9B1AF74DB.jpeg

12. Hels Hughes

Hels Hughes New Member

Hi, thanks for all your replies, I definitely agree the leg looks very odd! Much appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted