Would Like To Learn About This Chinese Fellow

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by georgeingraham, Oct 23, 2021.

1. georgeingraham

georgeingraham Active Member

Would like very much to learn about this fellow.

I think the clue is in his headwrap which seems unusual and has been hard to find a match for. After searching the best I can online and in books for similar head wraps I keep coming back to those worn by the Boxers. An anti-imperialist patriot movement/militia during the late (1899-1901) Qing dynasty.

I am guessing the decorative pin probably represents some some kind of rank or official position, but this ceramic Shiwan bust was sculpted post 1930, probably mid century.

Any way, I am at a loss about this fellow, would like to try and learn about him, so asking for help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe Mongol? Genghis or Kublai Khan?

georgeingraham and NewEngland like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Turban-like headbands are seen in most of Asia, also in rural China.
    Could we see the base please, George?

georgeingraham likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I think that particular family is represented in the last photo, the man in front of the others.:playful:

georgeingraham and NewEngland like this.
  5. georgeingraham

Here you go Any :)

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. georgeingraham

Yes, I think he has strong Mongolian features, and they played a part in the uprising..

"In 1899 the movement began to assume menacing proportions. Violent attacks on foreigners and on Chinese Christians occurred, particularly in the provinces of Zhili, Shanxi, and Shandong; in Manchuria; and in Inner Mongolia."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I am not sure he is Shiwan, or even Chinese. He certainly looks East Asian, but could also be Central Asian. Could have been made by an independent artist.
    Maybe the fact that he has a pin or similar decoration on his turban/headdress is something to consider when trying to find his origin.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Figtree3 and georgeingraham like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted