Featured Would love some info on book-like 'religious' box.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Robert Walker, May 5, 2021.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

Hi All! I hope you are all in good health. I collect religious items, and got given this box/book. The image on the front is well known. However, also on the inside it shows to be a religious artefact. Does anyone know what this was used for, of what was stored in it? Any info is welcome really. Thanks lots for your two cents! All the best, take care, Robert.

1.jpeg
    3.jpeg 5.jpeg 2.jpeg 4.jpeg 6.jpeg

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Part of the fresco of God giving life to Adam, from Michelangelo's ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Or as I overheard someone say, the Sixteenth Chapel.:playful:
    The Christ monogram, the first two Greek letters of Christ's name, and the Alpha and Omega for the beginning and end. Christ as encompassing all existence.
    I agree, it obviously has a religious connotation, and would probably serve to hold something religious. An item to be put on a bookshelf or even hidden among books.
    How big is it?
    And do you know where the person who gave it to you found it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    kyratango likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like a little wood gilt box from Florence. Those were popular in the 1960s and 1970s. It's not uncommon that they have religious imagery but.... Given the lining, it very well have been designed to hold sweets as a communion gift or some such. The type of thing sold in a pasticceria or bomboniera in Italy where small gift items are also sold. The condition of yours is not good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomboniere

Debora

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree with @Debora . I used to see boxes like this quite a bit on childhood holidays in Italy in the 60s.

Robert Walker, komokwa and Debora like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Do a search on eBay using the word "florentine" in collectibles > decorative collectibles > trinket boxes & you will see a vast array of these types of boxes.
    I always pick up reasonably priced pieces like this as they are usually a fairly easy sell.

6. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I think this is a very cool box that mimics a Renaissance book binding (early 16th century). I agree with the posters before me that this is a mid 20th century tourist/pelgrimage copy.

Earliest binding in my collection (Paris - after 1506).
    IMG_2629.jpg

7. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

Thank you all very much. I have looked at a couple of boxes online. Indeed, it very much looks like a wood gilt box from Florence. I bought it as an 'extra' when buying a painting of a lady. She was selling her late husbands 'antiques and art'. I had no idea what it was. I like it, when that is the case: trying to figure it out/investigating- learning new stuf along the way. I got stuck, on this occasion- glad you all helped me out! All the best, Robert.

Draft saved Draft deleted