Would love to know where this bedroom suite is made and timeframe.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sue Kennedy, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Sue Kennedy

Sue Kennedy New Member

EF391ED2-6E61-4731-9A95-5A825CA6FBC4.jpeg 1256915F-9FA8-449E-BAF9-445E22E5D260.jpeg AF8B6692-DBB9-40E4-B0E9-C8624CB2F768.jpeg 68B0DB1C-EC9E-4862-B4E4-67A10D703DD0.jpeg B62DDD35-0E8F-41D1-BEBC-B3614FEA5533.jpeg View attachment 282805 I am considering buying this bedroom set for my daughter’s unused spare bedroom. It has peg construction from what I can tell looking at the drawers. It is located in western NC. Any information is helpful. I am thinking this is possibly a 3/4 bed size. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Sue and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!:):) The next time you post images, just before you hit 'Post', click the very TOP image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE", please!! That way everyone gets to see the full image and less clicking for everyone!! Thanks!! HAPPY to have you here!!!! Others will be along to fill you in more about the set! @Ghopper1924, @verybrad for starters!

EDIT: I just removed my edited image.....no need for double images as well!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    James Conrad, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello, It's cottage furniture that is paint decorated/stenciled. Those dovetails are called "Knapp" joints after the man who invented them and were only in use between 1870-1900. Guesses this is more toward 1900.
    Not a clue on value but be aware that 3/4 bed could be an issue getting a mattress.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like James nailed it. I'd guess 1885-95. Looks like you've got some condition issues, at least on the trestle table. It's a little trouble to have a mattress company make a mattress to your dimensions, but don't let that stop you if you like the set. On the other hand, don't pay too much for the set, either.

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

Here is an article that talks about the history of this style of furniture
    http://theantiquesalmanac.com/victoriancottagecharm.htm

"This style is known as Cottage Victorian. Most of the time, Cottage Victorian furniture had simple wooden knobs and handles.
    Cottage furniture became popular in the United States, particularly in summer along the East Coast, after the Civil War. Pieces began appearing in workshops and then homes of the wealthy in places like Martha's Vineyard, Cape May, and the Berkshires. But the popularity of these items didn’t remain exclusively with the upper class. As the middle class grew, equally elegant, but relatively reasonably priced versions began to appear in the homes of the nation’s growing work force, particularly in Pennsylvania and New England."

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like a Knapp joint. Just pegged with dowels.

komokwa likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Sees that now, weird! He modified a Knapp machine? :oops: He made his own rig to cheat/beat Knapp out of purchasing his machine? :eek:
    DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOR!:shifty::hilarious:

Enlarged photo, I see the "pins" but the "cove" is MIA!

knapp.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Very cute... but yes, mattress could be a spendy thing...

Leslie

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  10. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I have had mattresses made for 3/4size, and what I call 7/8 size. Not really a whole lot more than a good full size costs.

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted