Featured Wow! Did you all see the Vintage Pyrex on eBay for $2751?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Apr 1, 2016.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

HOLY CAT PUPPIES!!!

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Kard, is that in a store? There are some goodies there - condition is everything with Pyrex. No chips, check for scratches in the patterns and colours - if you hold the piece up to the light scratches will show up. Make sure the finish is glossy rather than dull.
    Here are a few you might want to check out prices on ebay and see if they are worth it for you. I'll go through the photos in a bit and add some more.
    Photo#2 - the pieces with the sailboat - McKee glass
    the pyrex bowl with the polka dots

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

last photo - on the right hand side 4 pieces of blue/turquoise pyrex snowflake, just above those is a piece of pink daisy
    1st photo - lots of butterprint which is a good seller
    2nd photos - lots of pieces in the primary colours
    Are they selling these pieces cheap? Some pieces I can't see the pattern but here are some good sites for help with patterns, the first one includes dates
    http://pyrex.cmog.org/pattern-library
    http://www.pyrexlove.com/vintage-pyrex-pattern-guide/
    http://pyrexpassion.com/pattern-reference.html

KingofThings likes this.
  4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

It's a booth in a local antique mall. Did not have enough time to check prices.
    Seems like not only the pattern matters but the shape. Some patterns sell for cheap but in rare shape could bring many times more.
    Will check the sites with the rare pieces and the next time I go there will take a better look.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

THANKS! :)

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Picture 2, there appears to be a set of primary color bowls. People still buy those as a set, but as mentioned before condition is everything. And shipping is costly so that also gets taken into consideration.

Thanks for sharing your photo's of the pyrex.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

A set of 5 costs about $56 to cross the US in a 18"x18"x18" box. Smaller is too small for safe travel especially if the largest one is a 'Cinderella' (has 2 spouts).

antidiem likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The Post Office lowered the price of a stamp from 49¢ to 47¢ but the cost of shipping has sky rocketed. I used to ship Pyrex from NJ to CA for $12.00 and now it costs $56.00. Since email I get very few letters but the junk mail is filling my box. Today I got 1 letter and 27 pieces of junk mail.
    greg

janettekay, lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

DOWN 2cents???!!!
    Shocking!
    Now your 'FOREVER' stamps have lost like your 401k. :p

pearlsnblume and janettekay like this.
  10. Pyrex Bowl Hoarder

Pyrex Bowl Hoarder New Member

Yeah actually they did pay every 6 months to a year one pops up and it gets ugly. Over 200 people will bid that bowl is the mecca. It's ugly too lol
    You want to know something even crazier? The last couple I've seen go for auction are really small I haven't seen a big one go up for auction in years. I collect and sell Pyrex and I'm just going to be honest it's hype and guess what? I don't fall for that what I do is, I get pieces ''I like'' promo or not as long as I think it's nice and it makes me happy! I don't want attention and people gossiping saying ''oh look she has that ugly heart grass bowl she must have paid $3000 for it I would rather have a $3 bowl I like than an ugly one worth $3000 I guess the people who end up buying Bulls at that price they don't do it for any other reason except look at me I got it and they probably don't have any friends in person so it really does them no good because what's the point of having something that you love if you can't share it with your friends and I just have a feeling those people do it for that quick feeling or Rush of exception and that's that and also with all that money spent on one bull I coulda got like 40 of them. LOL

11. KingofThings

Welcome! :)

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Periods are our friends, LOL! Nice stream of consciousness, full of information. Welcome, Hoarder! I too will only buy things that I like, regardless of cost or rarity, as long as it fits my budget. And where Pyrex is concerned, I need to use it as well. I don't like lazy glassware.

I was in a Target store recently and saw some vintage Pyrex wannabes copying some popular old patterns like Polka Dot and others. Turned the bowls over and they were made by Pyrex. I was very surprised! You can see them here:
    http://www.target.com/s?category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&searchTerm=Pyrex bowl
    I wonder if this will impact the vintage market.

lauragarnet, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  13. KingofThings

I'd better get rid of mine soon...

pearlsnblume, *crs* and lauragarnet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted