Featured WWI Red Cross Linen scarf with provenance help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, May 21, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    So i found this at a local thrift all folded up in a plastic bag.
    It is linen? measures 23" x 23". There is this post-it note inside.
    Worn by Mrs. Frank M (Florence) (Hart) Brown during Red Cross work
    during World War 1.
    I have been trying to research the name but no luck. I would like to verify the information before i try to sell it.
    Also i was wondering if i could/should clean it or iron it for resale?
    Any information and or advice appreciated.
    Mikey
    weee 1186.jpg weee 1187.jpg weee 1188.jpg weee 1190.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is it big enough to be a head scarf?
    nurse755.jpg

Figtree3, kyratango, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't wash it, iron it, or anything else. Originality matters.

5. 916Bulldogs123

Interesting worthpoint listing. This one has no snaps and looks like it never did. Maybe pinned on?.
    Thanks @Ownedbybear I won't do a thing to it.
    Mikey

kyratango, Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with above. Leave as is.

Debora

stracci, kyratango, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frank Merlin Brown married Florence Hart. Found them in North Dakota on familysearch.org.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 2.36.55 PM.png

8. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks a bunch Debora. Farm wife. So a volunteer nurse? Maybe not a Nurse?
    Mikey

stracci likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's information on Red Cross nurse volunteers from North Dakota. Florence would have been a little old to go overseas. She might have been a trained nurse but gave her profession up when she married (as women were expected to do at the time) or might have just been a Red Cross volunteer during "war work" as the note says.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:North_Dakota_in_The_Great_War

Debora

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Influenza epidemic maybe? They needed tons more nurses and nursing assistant than they had.

stracci and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

Yeah she would have been in her early 50s during the war.
    Mikey

stracci likes this.
  12. 916Bulldogs123

I found them
    FRANK M. BROWN
    Stutsman county, North Dakota, is not without her well-regulated farms, and one of these carefully cultivated tracts is the property of the gentleman above named. He is extensively engaged in wheat raising in township 137, range 65, and has met with eminent success in his vocation. He also operates a steam threshing rig, and is the owner of a fine new outfit for this line of work. His home farm is one of the best improved in the locality, and every convenience of modern farming and the newest patterns of machinery are used to facilitate the work. Our subject was born in Oswego county, New York, in August, 1862. He was raised in his native place on a farm and attended the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one years left home and went to North Dakota. He located at Edgeley, then known as St. George, in the spring of 1884, where he rented land, and he and his brother filed claim to government land. Out subject took the southeast quarter of section 10, in township 137, range 65, and later took as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 10, township 137, range 65. He erected a 12x16-foot shanty in which he lived alone three years, and also built a stable 12x16 feet. His brother took government land on the southwest quarter of section 10, township 137, range 65. Our subject erected a larger dwelling about 1888, and has since built a complete set of farm buildings of the most approved style at a cost of two thousand dollars. He has a convenient residence, barn, two granaries, and all machinery for the economical conduct of the place, and for the past twelve years has operated a threshing outfit and has at present a twenty-horse-power steam rig. He has lost crops by hail and fire and met with many other discouragements, but has been successful in most of his work, and is now one of the substantial men of that region, and is the owner of nine hundred and eighty acres of land, of which he cultivates about seven hundred acres. He has ten acres of forest trees and his place is one of the pleasant farms of the locality. Our subject was married, in 1888, to Miss Florence L. Hart, of Oswego county, New York. Mrs. Brown’s father, A.A. Hart, was of English-Scotch descent, and was a miller by trade. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Brown, as follows: Eva, born May 11, 1894; and Ella, born March 13, 1899. Mr. Brown is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is a Democrat, and is a man who keeps pace with the times, and is well-known and highly respected in his community. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

This is just wonderful!

14. 916Bulldogs123

Yes Thank you @Ownedbybear
    I was just hoping to find something about her and the Red Cross . I'm still searching though.
    Mikey

stracci, Ownedbybear and bercrystal like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you want to research further, I suggest you contact her hometown or county historical society. They'll know what type of "war work" local women were doing at the time.

Debora

stracci and bercrystal like this.
  16. 916Bulldogs123

@Debora
    Great minds think alike.
    Stutsman County has been bombarded with emails from yours truly.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, indeed they do. And know you'll share the info you get.

Debora

stracci, Figtree3, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Following this, and had to make a post to do so. I hope you find some information about her service in the Red Cross, Mikey.

19. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

What an exciting find!!
    It's great when all the pieces of the puzzle come together.

Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  20. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you all very much for your interest.
    Not much to report. There were a lot of Red Cross volunteers in North Dakota during the war. By 1917 there were over 5,000.
    Mikey

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted