Featured WWII from axis perspective

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Requiem, Aug 24, 2019.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

One I like; anyone know that building, I want to go there.

832902AC-F5A9-43EE-AB79-BD6121138A2E.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's the Palais de Chaillot in Paris.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

4. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member

5. Requiem

I am going to Mont Saint Michel, France on August 16th.

A number of photos from this collection were also taken there. I would like to take modern color photos in exactly the same angle and magnification. But for this I need quite precise coordinates for some.

Could anyone try to find this one?

The Album with Saint Michel photos.

What standouts:
    [​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0023

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0024

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0027

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0032

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0033

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0036

Modified to make signs easier to read:

[​IMG]
    2019-12-04-0035

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I was there several times over the last 4,5 decades. the normal way up to the cloister with the church of the abbey and the court with its many columns and a beautiful view.
    don't know if they already finished the renovation and opened it again; I was shocked about the mass tourism last time and turned around.

8. Requiem

I will be taking photos inside the Church and cloister. You can see the cloister Collums in one of the photos. Do you think any other photos have been taken up there?

Any idea what the wooden device is at 2019-12-04-0033?

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like the rope-drum for the sarrasin. if memory serves right there are at least two additional ones after the main entrance.

10. Requiem

Thanks Fid,

My trip was a success. While I could not find every location (Such as the garden scenes, pity) I was able to find plenty others.

Including the main street scene, stairs, places inside the building and some overall views of Mont Saint Michel.

When I have the time I will be messingabout on several ideas how best to present these...

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I find all these photos fascinating, thanks for sharing @Requiem.

While some may find the sharing of WW2 German, especially Nazi, items/ephemera disturbing, I believe it has educational purposes and it's good to have a reminder of what can happen in the world when racism, greed, etc are permitted to spiral out of control.

My father was an intelligent and logical man, a math genius who became a design engineer for Chrysler Corporation. As a teenager in Poland, he fought in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. He was captured and spent his 18th year in a German POW camp. His parents, who were patriots and resistance organizers in Poland, had been previously arrested by the Gestapo. His mother was sent to Bergen-Belsen, Auschwitz, and Ravensbruk (survived), but his father was never seen nor heard from again.

Fast forward to the 1980s, my parents have finally bought their little dream cottage on a canal off Michigan's Lake Huron. Directly across the canal was a cottage owned by "Mike". Mike, it turned out, was German and had been a "common" soldier during WW2. My father and Mike became good friends, spending many a day side by side in chairs on each other's lawns by the canal, talking on many subjects, including the war.

When, out of curiosity, I asked my father how he could be friends with a former German soldier after fighting so determinedly against them, my father's answer was simply, "That was wartime."

(I doubt, however, my father would have thought so generously of a true Nazi.)

It was my mother, who was a young child in London during the war, that had trouble accepting the fact that a "jerry" owned the cottage across the canal.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    daveydempsey likes this.
  14. Requiem

Thanks for that story bluumz.

For the record, and it goes without saying, that I absolutely despise the Nazi ideology and all the gruesome things that happened in the war.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted