Featured WWII in Burma

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by SBSVC, Feb 23, 2016.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I've been posting lately in other parts of Antiquers about a stack of forgotten boxes I recently discovered in my garage. These boxes have been moved from one garage to another (and from state to state) since 1996. Tonight, I found out that some of the boxes actually came from my DH's late father, who died in 1993.

My late FIL, Jim, was in the US Army in India and Burma during WWII. He worked on the railroads there from 1943-1945.

I have unearthed tons of paper, a zillion photos, and lots of misc memorabilia from his time there.

My husband has no interest in any of it (that's a long story...) and says, "Just get rid of it," but I honestly don't feel I can simply put it all in the trash.

There are military newspapers, civilian newspapers from Calcutta (in English) and a number of locomotive manuals & the like. There's even a "Japanese Engineer's armband" that (according to an attached note) was taken from a dead Japanese soldier's arm.

Here are just a few photos of stuff from the horde:

This is Jim, in India, in 1943:
    JHMcL India 1943.jpg

Here's that Japanese armband (some info redacted):
    Japanese armband no name.jpg

A cool photo of a Mobil Gas delivery in India:
    Mobilgas by cow India 1943.jpg

One of the several railroad manuals:
    locomotive manual.jpg

an envelope of military dispensed meds (no idea what) - pills now discarded:
    pills 2.jpg
    Souvenir of return home NOV 1945:
    return home - NOV 1945.jpg

The route home, via Calcutta to NYC:
    route home NOV 1945.jpg
    and last, but not least, Louise - no idea who she was (certainly NOT my MIL!) but she sent him a lot of photos & suggestive letters...
    Louise.jpg

Do museums of any sort want this kind of stuff - or are there individuals who are interested in buying it? I really can't bring myself to just throw it away, but I'm not sure how much of it I can or should keep, either.

Would love some input!

Thanks,
    -C-

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

List them individually on ebay, POW ephemera and photo`s sell well
    When you say
    "Jim, was in the US Army in India and Burma during WWII. He worked on the railroads there from 1943-1945."
    was he forced labour POW?
    Remember "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
    POWs in Burma forced to build a bridge to aid the war effort of their Japanese captors. British and American officers plot to blow up the structure, but the commander of the bridge's construction has different plans.

KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, wonder if she inspired anyone to sing this old song ("Every little breeze seems to whisper Louise")? ;)

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice ephemera! And, it makes me wonder what ever happened to Louise?

5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

If you don't need a lot of money, just give the stuff away.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Overe here, the Imperial War Museum would snatch your hand off. There's a bunch called the Burma Star Association - they may have US links.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

However complicated it is to list, related collections of this sort of ephemera do better than odd items because there is context for everything that makes a story. If the war medals are included that really boosts the price.

I'd comsider a B&M auction house, higher fees but less trouble and interested buyers can leaf though the items. That's what I'd do in the UK but I don't know about the US. situation.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  8. Ownedbybear

Yup, don't separate them.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wow! Reminds me of my recent adventure with my great uncle Antonio and his St. Anthony statue. Indeed, who COULD throw out such stuff? Good on YOU, SVSBC!!
    In addition to those who have already posted, King of Things and BakerGM were able to find me lots of amazing information on my uncle Tony. Good luck!!

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Maybe 15 years ago (or more - time flies) we were in London with our basketball team for a couple of days. We were walking from our hotel to look for a restaurant when we came upon a large street that was packed with spectators on both sides. A group of elderly gentlemen were marching - no drums or anything, just the men in regular suits with military headgear and badges on their lapels. We were told they were the last of the Burma veterans. It was quite moving.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I would look for Burma Veteran's Organizations or, as Bear suggested, the museum. I'd try to donate it. I've donated many items to museums around the country over the years. Being VP of the local Historical Society I know how rare and important some of this stuff is and how appreciative they might be.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't break them up and don't give them away........until you've explored all avenues ....

13. Ownedbybear

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you ALL for your great input! I'm excited by the varying options given in the responses.

Davey, no, Jim was NOT a POW. He was regular Army and went over as a private, returned as a corporal. (No great shaker, military wise - just a solid, hard worker.)

And, Gila, I knew Jim quite well, and I have access to much of the history of his military unit & all, but I haven't yet done any real digging!

For those wondering about Louise: there is no last name on anything - no mailing envelopes (i.e. return addresses) or things of that ilk - just lots of photos & a few letters (the letters, I am inclined to destroy, as they are rather personal...)

As time allows, I will be looking into the various museum & Burma Veterans association options. (Owned, thanks for the link!) To me, this sounds like the right thing to do with much of this stuff.

Thanks again, everybody!
    -C-

KingofThings likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If he wasn`t a POW then he would not have worked on the railways in Burma between 43-45 as Burma was occupied by the Japanese between 1942 and 1945.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yep, Davey, I knew that(!)
    I'm afraid I oversimplified in my original post!

Jim was one of the 4,600 American railroad workers sent to Assam, the Indian province closest to the Burma border, in 1943 to help operate the rail lines. He was a fireman first, then an engineer. Here are a couple more photos:
    on railroad engine.jpg

Eventually, he was sent to Burma, where he served with Merrill’s Marauders.

This photo is labeled “me in a captured Jap(anese) diesel, Mogaung”:
    Jim in captured Japanese locomotive.jpg

These 2 say only “my locomotive got hit by the Jap(anese)” – no date, no location:
    locomotive hit by Japanese.jpg

Thanks again, Davey.

-C-

Draft saved Draft deleted