Yard sale find signature help needed.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Joe Collura, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Joe Collura

Joe Collura Active Member

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like Stroh?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think your painting is decorative, in which case the name of the painter isn't too important. It's marked "Model 40 with frame" and is priced at 9,000 Spanish pesetas which wouldn't have been a great deal of money.

Debora

4. Joe Collura

Thank you

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Joe Collura

Hello Debora

I bought this from a guy who was retired Air Force. He had told me he bought it 60 or 70 years ago and did not remember where. You said it was 9,000 pesetas would that of been considered a lot of money way back when ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That makes sense. There were 3 U.S. Air Force bases in Spain post-World War II. So roughly 1950s. Yeah, that could be right. In that case, 9,000 pesetas probably was a decent amount of money. Let's see what I can find... Hum. According to Wikipedia, "In 1959, Spain became part of the Bretton Woods System, pegging the peseta at a value of 60 pesetas = 1 U.S. dollar." So $150. In Spanish, your painting would be called a bodegón, which is the translation of still life.

Debora

7. Joe Collura

Thank you Debora,

I appreciate your knowledge here. My question is did he pay 150.00 back then for this painting?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maybe.....maybe less at a discount for the military...maybe at sale to help some Spaniard make a few bucks after the war......?????

The writing looks european....but it is awful crisp for 70 years old..??

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No why of knowing what he paid (unless he remembers) but 9,000 pesetas would have been a nice sum of money in Spain's post-(Civil) War years.

Debora

i need help likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

9000 pesetas, the last time I used them in Spain, was about £450. 200 to the pound. When I first went there in the late 50s, my parents were buying glasses of wine for a couple of pesetas.

I'm not seeing that writing as with frame: that would be con cuadro. Reads more like Cau Maria or Cau Marca. Cau is Catalan or Mallorquin for a place, corner or lair, usually meaning a pleasant spot. Often used for restaurants or cafes. The pot is typical of Catalan and Mallorquin make.

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

9000 Pesetas on the historical exchange rate for 1950 is £69.03 ($88.31)

In 2001 the Peseta was 265 esp = £1

12. Ownedbybear

That much in 2001? I'd forgotten - so about 400 quid.

13. Joe Collura

Thank you for your reply.

14. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting......"Struki" is the name I saw for the signature.......had to get to the end of the replies before I could!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

i need help likes this.
  16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No, £33.96. 9000 divided by 365

17. Ownedbybear

Urg. Brain fart time. Cheap then!

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, others may disagree. To my eye, the word is marco which means frame. (The Spanish word cuadro means painting.)

Debora

20. Joe Collura

Draft saved Draft deleted