Featured Yay or nay necklaces

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_3470.jpeg IMG_3468.jpeg IMG_3470.jpeg IMG_3471.jpeg IMG_3472.jpeg IMG_3473.jpeg Hello everyone.
    I have held a bit back my jewelry hoarding habits lately, but these two necklaces were in 2 jewelry lots I bought for a few bucks, and I already found some bakelite/amber and even some scrap gold in them so I tell myself it was definitely worth my hard earned cash/time.
    The first necklace is one I have big doubts about.
    The design and the way the stones are used looks victorian to me but then again...it
    doesnt test as silver, the clasp is not something I have seen being used for old necklaces, only for watch chains...I have my doubts about the stones too.
    My guess is its real and old but could also be made in the seventies in India maybe? :wideyed:

The second pendant is something completely different. I LOVE kinetic modernist jewelry!
    Its silver colored with wooden beads that can be turned. (I m wearing it all the time since it got here) :D
    When I bought it in the lot of jewelry I thought it might maybe be a Kaija Aarikka Finland pendant.
    But upon closer inspection, there is no signature to be found, the chain looks different from what she used, and also I haven't seen this specific design from her.
    So my guess is its just a cool seventies copycat.
    What do you think about my two necklaces? Yay or nay? :)

komokwa, mirana, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would guess Iran-Central Asia, thereabouts. Could be 70s, could be later. It is very nice, nice design and nicely made.
    That is a surprise. Did you test the central part as well? Maybe the chains were added later, and aren't silver? Just speculating.
    They look legit from here.
    It does have that look. A fun piece, and I would say 60s as well.

Btw, is that the advertising section of an old Gent phonebook?

mirana, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. Dessert58

AJ thanks for the reply, I only tested the chain, its a good idea to also test the middle maybe.
    Its in fact an old opera programming pamphlet:cat:

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Dessert58

5. Dessert58

The middle part indeed tests as low grade silver.

6. Any Jewelry

Love that programme.:)
    Good news. Ca .800, you think?

Since it is a marriage, maybe we should rethink the origin. How about European Arts & Crafts?

The stones look like Nishapur turquoise to me (Persian). Mismatched usually means local or Central Asian use, but Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau jewellery also used mismatched Persian turquoise.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    mirana, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. Dessert58

AJ could be 800 silver yes, my fluid only gave a faint reaction.
    A & C would be amazing!
    Any idea on which chain it would have been on in that case?
    That Opera programme has been laying around here for years because I want to put it in a frame but I always keep forgetting to look for one.

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree with AJ on the first one. Looks to be a nicer piece with some age.

The pendant does have a Kaija Aarikka Finland feel about it. I sold one a few years back, blue wooden beads, different design, but when I saw yours it was the first name I thought.

2 great finds!

9. Any Jewelry

10. Dessert58

Lucille, thanks for your opinion
    AJ thank you! These are all amazing!
    I ll definitely be on the lookout for a better fitting chain

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

both Yay's !

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The turquoise one is definitely turquoise. It looks like the original chains and clasp broke and someone repaired it and made it wearable. The wooden one has a Finnish air about it.

Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love both of them, whatever they are. Really lovely designs.

Dessert58 likes this.
  14. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

The turquoise necklace is a big "yay" for me!

Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
  15. Dessert58

I just tested everything another time, together with some marked silver pieces I already had laying around. Turns out the chain is also silver but very faintly. The middle part tests as clear as 835-800 silver.
    But look what I also found online...is there a possibility the chain could still be original to the piece?
    Or is it all just from the '70s after all? :hungover:
    https://www.etsy.com/be/listing/1021351680/zeldzaam-victoriaanse-authentieke

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think half of the clasp is original for certain. The rest, you never know what some hippie silversmith would get up to!

Dessert58 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted