Featured Year of fabric on these homemade square dancing skirts?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would you put this fabric at 1950s? All homemade, I purchased for resale, all are size XS, so even thinking someone maybe interested in the fabric if not the skirt.

skirt2b.jpg

skirt2c.jpg

skirt1aa.jpg
    skirt1b.jpg
    skirt3b.jpg

skirt3r.jpg

Also is there a way to describe this fabric, colors are totally bright on both sides, inside and out. Was it dyed a certain way? Thanks.

skirt1vv.jpg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can't help except to say they are delightful.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Very 1950s patterns. Maybe even late 40s.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My parents did a lot of square dancing in the 1950s.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they look like dance skirts.
    (Teen) Girl's dance skirts maybe?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1950s as above. New Look length. And Calypso became hugely popular. (Think Harry Belefonte and 'Banana Boat.') Maker doesn't appear to have hemmed. Conditions look excellent. Certainly someone will value for fabric alone.

Debora

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

These look like 1950s border print cotton novelty skirts... I don't think they were made for square dancing. Square dance skirts generally had ruffling and/or tiers, and often had attached petticoats. Border print novelty skirts can bring some serious cash on the resale market, what a find! What sort of closure do they have... a metal zipper, perchance?

EDIT:
    Here is one of yours:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/145309751709?hash=item21d522d99d:g:FRAAAOSwnK5lCMEX&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8GAWfcV8NUN1D86TZ90HXZp38dCkJGunMbe5+w7Mo8+5SgNNs/zisRv4HUI+BvEUXCjNgRivfjnXZ3uJvNoG4Ydr36rtd4nintvd140rVjg1Jy9OArPkUoPotNu2ZOVuO2ILF5Jhg/vTB7166pXKZ2ZYNFgSAWaVpj+gyX+1Dblz15vVyRNj6oKOuyB9e6xxZBQoIhIEXom3ae95uhpiJ4I1TjYkxHjm1qOE+9K7yMacAeV6/KFuuvQa6oxOSsceGNhpfRduSvPVBmuCniATOp78pqMYmFy8k76zWyaE9QgOLAXbvrS6lR8T1kyaHvlylA==|tkp:Bk9SR7TIgdv2Yg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Lucille.b

This is AMAZINGLY helpful everyone.

11. pearlsnblume

Holy Moley, Debora you found one sold for that amazing price.

i need help, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Lucille.b

It's actually BETTER if they weren't homemade (for resale) and Bluumz's and Debora's links -- esp with one having "remnants of a label" is a great listings to have found. Thank you!! :) Interestingly they are ALL exactly the same size, mine and the two links. TINY waist. 26".

I questioned the "square dancing dress" description from the relatives, but who knows maybe their mom wore these for dancing. They did say that their mom (or was it grandmom?) sewed them, but now thinking that was a mistaken memory.

13. Lucille.b

One has a metal zipper, the other two are buttoned, but each slightly different. The Mexican themed one is identical to your link.

Maybe not for square dancing. I think I'm going to leave that out of my listing.

Appreciate the help with this.

14. Lucille.b

I'm glad to see they have some resale. I really went with my gut on this because I don't usually do vintage clothing but could see they were pretty exceptional. $10 each, and second day of the sale! All of the other dealers were there on day 1, I've been busy with family stuff, heard about the sale way after the fact, and decided just to stop over on day 2 for the heck of it. Not sure if they "just put these out" on day 2 or if everyone else passed. I didn't hesitate. It was the first thing I picked up.

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're not for square dancing. Square dance costumes emphasize volume when in movement and are tiered, ruffled and under-slipped. Yours are just New Look length. Here's Audrey Hepburn in 1953's Roman Holiday wearing similar. (A terrific movie for those who haven't seen. Edith Head was so clever in how she took the character from princess to proletariat with small tweaks to the same costume pieces.)

Debora

Unknown.jpeg

16. pearlsnblume

At first when I saw your pics, I thought they were aprons since many moons ago, I had an apron with somewhat similar designs. But of course they had ties in the back. One I think was Calypso
    Great finds Lucille, I hope they go sky high when you list them.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

18. Lucille.b

19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

They are so adorable!!!

judy, Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy, Any Jewelry, bluumz and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted