Yellow Ware bowl, can you make out what is says on the bottom or maybe you already know from others

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jakes vintage, Jun 16, 2019.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Yellow Ware bowl, can you make out what is says on the bottom or maybe you already know from others before it? I've tried every angle/lighting, flour, pencil/crayon rubbing, every trick I know of but I cant make anything out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice bowl!! I'm not sure there's much there legible......BUT..... if you can take a similarly lit image BUT WITHOUT the FLASH OR REFLECTION, I'm sure a couple of us will at least give it a try!!!!

3. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

No flash, has to be the incandescent lights above, here's one straight on in natural light[​IMG]

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think i can see ...made ... but that could just be the power of suggestion..
    ;):wideyed::wideyed:

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

That is an early Watt Pottery pattern called Kla-Ham'rd (for clay, hammered) introduced in 1944. There is a section in my Watt book on this pattern in the "Early Wares" chapter. One of my personal favorites for their unique shapes. The bottom mark would have the traditional deeply molded Watt rings with "Kla-Ham'rd" across the center. For some reason this glaze tends to run heavy on the bottom and I have seen many with obscured marks

It took me years to find a complete set to photograph for the book and that was back when Watt pottery could be found easily in the wild. I haven't seen a piece in a decade. Dennis Thompson

komokwa, janettekay, dgbjwc and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted