Featured Yemen Filigree Beaded Necklace, Bowsani? Any ideas to age?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NFLgirl, Oct 18, 2018.

1. NFLgirl

NFLgirl Member

What a treat to wake up and find some answers awaiting me. Thank you Any Jewelry for taking the time to share so much information. I've probably had this necklace for 15 years, and it just sat packed away in a box.

I am so delighted to have found this forum and all the wonderful people here!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This forum is always a good start to the day.:)
    Time to take it out, wear it, and love it.;)

I didn't have much time before the light went (I'm in Europe), and just photographed two relevant pieces I could find. Not the double pendant, but the first one is a silver gilt pendant set with tiny turquoises, supposedly by Harun Bawsani, but not signed.
    upload_2018-10-19_18-10-34.jpeg
    You can see some filigree and the tiny discs and flowers I mentioned before. This was once part of a necklace made for a Yemeni Jewish bride. Ethnic jewellery often gets taken apart when parts are broken, and the remaining components given a new life.

I took a photo of this one because it is a filigree ball, like your necklace has. This is Yemeni though.
    Again the silver lozenge shapes on top of the filigree, and some granules like your beads have, but in a different configuration. Also the Yemeni favourite, Mediterranean red coral beads, acquired through the coffee trade with Italy:
    upload_2018-10-19_18-15-56.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. NFLgirl

NFLgirl Member

Absolutely beautiful, and thank you again for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted