Featured Yet again, it's time for let's play a game!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 8, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone! It's that time again for let's play a game!

Hopefully this will be fun for those that try, If you choose to play, please be sure to do your best to follow the rules so we don't spoil it for others. Here is a refresher for those that have played before, and for those that are trying for the first time, here we go:

1. Look at the photos for any valuable indicators/clues that these could be good/bad
    2. Use your intuition, or search engine skills, or any other piece of info you need to try to figure out if these are worth your time.
    3. Consider the following question: with only the info above and the photos below, do you have the gambling spirit to pay $80 for the group?

Here's the ways to respond once you have done the steps above so we don't spoil it for other guesses, please respond with one of the following options:

1. I would buy, but I'm not sure why
    2. I would buy, and I think I know why or I definitely know why
    3. I wouldn't buy

Good luck!!! After everyone that wants to play has a chance to answer, I'll provide some more details. Here's the photos you have to work with: 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wowser Mr Nate, sweet deal for $80.00:)
    I'm in and I definitely know why:)

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd throw $80 at it too but it's because my antennae are uncoiling and my nose is twitching.

kyratango, pearlsnblume and MrNate like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure I would but I don’t know why other than a few don’t look quite the right colour and some blades could be ss? That said even if not silver they are probably worth $80 just because it’s all matching and in a box. I don’t know the pattern so I’d need to research that.

5. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Not the kind of thing I usually buy, don't know anything about cutlery other than Grandma had a set and polished it all the time. It was a meditation, "I need a break" thing for her.
    Yes, I would throw $80 at it, for aesthetic reasons. From the looks, box, I'd think it's probably worth at least two or three times that, if not more. (But that could be wishful thinking, sort of, so I'd feel it was worth it! :))

Lucille.b, MrNate and Houseful like this.
  6. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

I would Not buy, and I think I know why.

Lucille.b and MrNate like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OK, I would take a chance and I think I know why :)

8. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I would buy and I think I know why.

Lucille.b, kyratango and MrNate like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the guesses everyone! Since @cxgirl seemed confident do you want to share with the group why you would buy???

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

She would buy, as would I .
    Cuz the day u show us a pile of crap,
    I'd have a Stroke , & Die !!!

Bawhahaha!!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek::eek:

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

when I first looked at them, the one pattern made me think Royal Rose or Belvedere, which in my mind would be a great score and I'd be in. I was going to look it up but never made it that far last night. I just checked now, and it was neither of those patterns. Guess I should have found the pattern before commenting, but I'd still be in for $80.00, there is bound to be sterling pieces in the bunch.
    The grape ones are interesting, I never got around to looking for the pattern, so no idea on those.

lol komokwa, ain't that the truth:)

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That makes sense :) does anyone else have a full answer why this set is or isn’t a good buy?

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I know nothing about silver really, but the pattern reminds me of the silverware pattern my parents had gotten as a engagement gift and we used for the holidays for decades.
    So I am just guessing, I would buy and I think I know why.

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I believe that more than a little of what you've shown this time is plated and would not buy at that price.

Lucille.b, Houseful and MrNate like this.
  15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I agree with Bakersgma, think some is plated Rogers.

16. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

I also agree with @Bakersgma .
    I did some research on the grape flatware and turned out to be Rogers Plated flatware.

Must be honest i did not do any research on the other design it was quiet difficult. The Grape one just popped up and was the first link on the google search

Lucille.b likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but is the rest enuf to risk 80 bucks?

Lucille.b, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you all very much for the guesses; I was hoping there would be someone in the group that had the answer I was looking for, but they are either staying silent or no one else pieced it together yet. For all the people that stated there's a lot of silverplate in the listing, you are absolutely correct. One of the greatest challenges is to discern between 'good and junk' and it often requires you to tune your mind to subtle clues. Now I'm not claiming I'm perfect at this (far from it I'm sure), but when I looked at the images of the listing, these pieces looked quite different from the rest of the lot:

2 (1).jpg

Notice the tone looks different? Notice the bowl of the spoon looks a little softer/hazier? Notice that wonderful tarnish in all the cracks and crevices of the pattern?

So, if I truly believe this pattern could be different from the rest, I have a reason to research deeper. The buyer stated this is a silverplate listing, so I know that asking for additional information may cause me to lose the deal. So I start looking to match the pattern to a known sterling manufacturer; this way if I match it to a sterling pattern, this becomes much less of a gamble and more like a known purchase. After a short search, I matched it! This is 'Afterglow' by Oneida, made in sterling silver in 1956.

Here's what I ended up getting, there were a few extra sterling spoons by Gorham that were unexpected in the group:

IMG_9034.JPG IMG_9035.JPG IMG_9036.JPG IMG_9037.JPG IMG_9040.JPG IMG_9041.JPG

19. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Good catch! I don’t usually look at cutlery but will do a bit more now, that said, here in U.K. our own silver stuff has the lion etc which most people know about now.

Lucille.b, cxgirl, KSW and 2 others like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like the pattern, but I guess it can not be the one my parents had as 1956 would be too late for their engagement or wedding gift. My brother has the box with the silverware so I can't remember exactly what it looks like. Nice find.

Lucille.b, cxgirl, KSW and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted