Yixing Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 19, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'll be watching it too, good luck!

2. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    By the way, any keywords for the decoration on the last pot? I am trying to find similar but don't know what to search for.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Depends and I don't know if either term is used with Chinese pots but try agate ware agateware and scroddle ware scroddleware.

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Wow, already at more than $1300! :) How exciting! You know I wonder what the guidelines might be in picking out yixing teapots. It's hard to tell age on these things. One thing I've figured out is that incised writing on them is a pretty good sign, as well as unusual shapes, although neither of those characteristics are a given. Unless you read Chinese, it would appear that buying these blindly for resale are just a big, huge gamble. I've bought a few and struck out big time with them. Anyway, congrats kardinalisimo....I've got this one on Watch. :)

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

By coincidence, there's an article on Yixing in a magazine today. Apparently, originally one drank from the spout.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I am late on thread reading... just saw this discussion and started watching the listing. Good luck!

7. kardinalisimo

Ok, its over. Winning bidder registered 2015, zero feedback. Just great!

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But what a price! :woot:

4 bids in the last 60 seconds?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. kardinalisimo

I will wait a bit. The lower bids are still ok, so maybe second chance offer if the buyer don't pay.

10. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Wow congrats! I'd be doin back flips myself, or cart wheels

11. moontymes

First, big congrats! Second, if by chance the bidder does not pay, I would suggest *considering* consigning it to a big, reputable auction house. That way you do not have to worry personally about the non-paying bidders as houses are now trying to vet the buyers very stringently, so I've heard. And it's a possibility that you will get even more money out of going through a venue like an auction house, too.

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

...........as long as you can handle the fees, commissions, and the 30 to 60 day wait to get paid.

13. kardinalisimo

That happened to me few times in the past. Chinese buyers with zero or small feedback would bid on something and then not paid. Why they do that? Just want to screw the auction?
    What really piss me off is that they never answer to messages.
    Ebay policy is also not fair. I would wait for about a week and then either file for an item not paid or cancel the transaction. I think I should be able to cancel right away, not wait for the buyer to confirm. This wait I have to hold the item and not be able to relist when I want to.
    Like, recently I sold something, buyer not responding to messages for almost two weeks. Then I requested a cancellation and listed again before the item was cancelled. Then few days later, good amount of watchers, and I see an echeck waiting to be cleared. Buyer never told me. Ended the auction and luckily the check cleared. But then whatchers started asking why. What if someone placed a bid already?

Anyway, I will wait 3-4 days and I will request a cancellation. Then will include the information about the artist. Debating between auction style or buy now with best offer.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And of course, ban that person from bidding on your items again.

15. moontymes

NOT a waste of time. Do you not ever send anything to auction houses yourself? I believe you've posted that you have, and do still.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Usually higher priced items get a better quality of buyer, but I wouldn't want to be shipping this to China.....only to hear it got broken in transit and the buyer asking for a discount...or refund.

Oh, I've been ripped off buy Canadian & American buyers too , but the Chinese have really screwed the eBay Pooch !!

moontymes likes this.
  17. moontymes

Most of the time it turns out okay, but for the percentage that don't, it can be really, really rough on the seller. I think that if I really do "need" the money, it's better to wait and let an auction house handle it for things most likely going overseas, and worth more than $1000. It gives me peace of mind. Like, if I had 20+ watchers on an Asian item, I would pull it and consult an auction house to see what exactly I had. But that's just my opinion.

18. moontymes

Bad thing about insurance is that you have to have the buyer's compliance in order to get your money back. Who knows if that would happen?

komokwa likes this.
  19. moontymes

20. moontymes

Thanks for the clarification.

Draft saved Draft deleted