Yixing Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kard, I can feel your pain on some of this. I sold a set of 8 Gorham sterling goblets a year or so ago (was thrilled, break out the champagne!) great finish at $1,300, then Ack!... winning bidder was in China. (Was suddenly in a panic about insurance, how to ship safely, etc. as I'd never shipped to China before.)

If it was me, I'd follow Nuff's advice to the letter. This is exactly what I did, Express International, fully insured. For the kind of money you are making, you can afford to upgrade the shipping, even if it costs $100+. And pack it so the finished package will withstand a drop of 8 feet onto bare concrete. (A postal clerk told me that once.) If it was mine, I would triple box. I did not know about the adding the phone number, but sounds like a smart idea. I also copied the address on all boxes, even internal boxes.

Since USPS has an insurance max w/International Express, I think ($2500??) you might be able to add on to that with a 3rd party insurance to bring it up to 4K. But please confirm all of this. I'm no expert.

A side note, my Chinese buyer also requested that custom's declaration be $149, but I just told him that Ebay prints the declaration amount on the shipping label, and I'd have to stick with that.

He agreed, goblets arrived safe and sound. Happy buyer.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    cxgirl and gregsglass like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bear,
    Here in the states we can be fined or IMPRISONED for false information on a custom form. Never had it happened to me but then I have only been bad twice and sweated it for a month, never again.
    greg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Greg, that's an urban myth that got debunked very thoroughly by af and others on the old boards. No one ever found a single case to prove it. But I'm not getting into that one again. ;)

cxgirl and gregsglass like this.
  4. gregsglass

HiBear,
    Okay, thanks.
    greg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Greg....could you be thinking about the customs form you have to fill out when ENTERING the USA. ?

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The US customs form we have to fill out for things we mail to other counties states quite clearly that any misrepresentations can/will be prosecuted - or some such wording.

gregsglass likes this.
  7. gregsglass

Hi,
    I was sure it said that on the forms we filled out. Komokwa goodness knows I have filled out so many of entering forms I was thinking of ordering a rubber stamp. I have one very funny story about customs and me. My first visit to Denmark at Christmas time. I was introduced to a smoked eel. I did not like eels to look at let alone EAT. I tried it it was sensastional. I loved it. My friends said it was only avalable in December and extremely expensive. I had to have some so I bought 2 kilos and it came to something like 40 dollars. Next, how to smuggle into the US. Wrapped in several layers of polyester film, then a cloth bag dampened with vinegar. Snuggled nicely in a bag with my dirty socks and some underwear. Filled out my forms and standing in line at customs I began to really sweat and start to shake, classic symptoms of doing something illegal. As I neared the woman at the line glanced at me and said "You need to.... I almost fainted...go home and go to bed, you look like you have the flu." She stamped my passport and cleared my bag. Grabbed a cab and went home. Unpacking I just shoved the package of eel into the refridge and downed a couple of quick gins. The next day I am looking at the eel and started to laugh like a lunatic. No wonder the eels were so expensive. On the package was a little label. Product of New York State.
    greg

Pat P, dgbjwc, desperate_fun and 3 others like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

"Product of New York State."

LOL! :hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted