Featured You all Probably recognize the sitter in this 19th Century engraving

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, May 18, 2023.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

If you don't then we may need to have a talk lol.
    I took a drive down the old river road this morning and stopped at a few places looking for treasures along the way.
    This is large 13 1/2" x 16 1/2" approx, I didn't remove it from the frame.
    All I could find so far is John C Mc Rae was active from 1850 to 1880
    So, if it is real then I might have done well for the $20.00 they charged me.
    Mikey
    100_9272.JPG 100_9273.JPG 100_9276.JPG 100_9278.JPG 100_9280.JPG

Figtree3, stracci and Potteryplease like this.
  2. 916Bulldogs123

@2manybooks could you take a look?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Mikey

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What, exactly, are you concerned about being "real"? If you are focused on the signature - no, it is reproduced in the engraving, a common format for such 19th century portraits.

It appears to be a mixed method engraving. Have you examined it under magnification? I cannot see a plate mark (the impression created around an image when the engraved plate is pressed into the paper), but it might be under the mat.

The image appears to be based on a photograph published as a carte de visite by D. Appleton & Co in 1861. The reversal would be a product of the copying process.
    Lincoln CDV.jpg
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?...590240684*thid_OIP.TybaxIdTZY8viFxqKWsjVwHaLX

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/collection/glc08870

The paper should be machine made "wove" paper by the mid 19th century. It appears to be in very good condition, which would be unusual for a print of this period made for display in a home or office. It may have been published in a book/portfolio of portraits, a popular format in the 19th century, which could have protected it from damage (until a "breaker" dismantled the book for sale). I have not found other examples of this particular engraving, although I found a number of variations with the image reversed again, with additional elements surrounding the central portrait.

@Debora and @moreotherstuff may have more to say.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Pretty much covers it, I'd say. A steelplate engraving from a book or an art magazine. If printed with a mechanical process, a plate mark may not be present.

5. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you both for the information.
    Book plate sounds logical.
    Mikey

pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted