Featured You know when..

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ce BCA, May 5, 2021.

1. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

..you found something a while back, finally get around to doing something with it and the information you previously found seems to have vanished into the black hole of the internet.

I'm sure I found this exact design just a few weeks ago, I'm hazy on the exact details as I was just scanning at the time, but seem to recall either South Africa or Zimbabwe. It is signed Douglas, which is fairly clear, but now the only references I can find are a couple of sketchy ones on Worthpoint for Douglas Lentsa (matching signature) but I can't find out anything about them elsewhere on the net.

It's clearly African style, it is hand painted and unglazed, very rough sandy clay, incised mark, approx 7" tall (small jardiniere/cache pot). It's neither old nor valuable, but driving me nuts that I can't find it anymore!

africa (1 of 2).jpg africa (2 of 2).jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don't see Douglas. Looks like it's 4 letters, then 07. Can you add another photo, maybe try some cinnamon?

Ce BCA likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Only too well.:arghh:
    Can't help though.:sorry: I do read Douglas. Zebra and giraffe banding, nice.

Ce BCA, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm seeing an "07" at the end and four letters.

africa (2 of 2).jpg

Ce BCA and i need help like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is definitely Douglas, I have another matching cylinder vase, the mark is a bit clearer on it....

IMG_20210505_155126166.jpg

Edit to add - I did find the design when I searched for it originally and used the name 'Douglas' - either that or I dreamt it :arghh:

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any Jewelry, i need help and Ce BCA like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Many thanks SiS, certainly looks the same incised mark - I'm guessing those aren't actually going to be NA then. My pieces have the feel of tourist ware.

Draft saved Draft deleted