Young Girl w/ Puppy Lithograph

Discussion in 'Art' started by eastcoastcurious, May 25, 2022.

1. eastcoastcurious

eastcoastcurious Well-Known Member

Hello!

Does anyone recognize the artist for this print? I couldn't see any signatures or stamps
    . I think it's an early 20th century lithograph and I got it because it reminded me of my dog.

Thanks!
    IMG_5174.jpg IMG_5172.jpg

2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like a tinted photograph, especially in the face. May be a different printing technique. The hands look like they were drawn. Lithography is certainly a possibility.

Added: No hits on an image search.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    eastcoastcurious likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Mazie th' Milk Maid...that bucket looks stainless, but is probably not. That's a wonderful image of what was, in that day, an everyday household tool if'n y'had a cow. I'll bet you can't find a new one anywhere now. Thanks!

4. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Two interesting things to me here:

1. The lady's face appears much "sharper" than the rest of the scene. Also, her face seems somewhat distorted, although that could be the angle of your photo? Thirdly her eyes appear to be black/white.
    2. The dog appears to be looking directly at the viewer (like it's breaking the 4th wall).

Definitely an interesting image! I agree that it's probably a lithograph of some kind. Can you take a more "direct" photo of the front?

Edit: I realized the startling aspect to me is that the woman and dog seem much sharper than the background. I almost get the feeling that her and dog will jump out of the frame! Perhaps this used to be an artistic style of some kind? It may be a stretch but I'd also wager something of an "angelic" lighting effect around her head.

wlwhittier and eastcoastcurious like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The dish for the milk is also at an angle in the close up - no way the milk would stay in there, but not in the first pic you posted. The maid and dog section could have come from another image, placed in the background without considering the way the whole thing looks.

6. eastcoastcurious

eastcoastcurious Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone! It looks like it could be a separate image. Interesting effect. IMG_5178.jpg IMG_5179.jpg

techbiker and Born2it like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted