Your own museum

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, Nov 30, 2016.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Knocked the arm off a Royal Worcester figurine and auction house insisted I had to meet the reserve price for the multi figurine lot. Disgusted with my clumsiness, I left the minimum commission bid and after the auction was told I had won the lot. Went to collect and bought several unsold lots as well.

Profits on those buys were some of the best we have achieved !

lloyd249, KingofThings and bluemoon like this.
  2. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

there was way too much cleaning, and dusting tho , so i was kinda happy about it lol

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I would have a museum dedicated to...

- Antique sewing machines etc.
    - Antique writing instruments etc.
    - Antique telescopes, binoculars, microscopes, etc.
    - Antique brassware and possibly silverware.

And probably a hell of a lot of other things besides!!

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  4. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

I have a personal museum, all my old friends. When we get together....well you can imagine. Lots of fun until about 8 pm.☺

Bakersgma, lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Unfortunately in the areas that I collect there is zero chance I could ever afford to purchase museum quality pieces. My political pin collection is cool to look at but is not much to see compared to some of the collections that some museums and university's have. I have some decent coins & art pottery too but nothing particularly rare that could not be easily located and purchased online these days. It is easy to assemble a great collection in a blink of an eye in this age of the internet if your pocketbook is deep which unfortunately mine isn't.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

But Joe...u have the advantage of time....time to pick up that odd item on occasion , building building your collection as you go.

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Just reread the question: If I had the funding I'd have an Ohio art pottery museum since there doesn't seem to be a good one. There are notable museum collections for numismatics and political items so I'd like to work on an underrepresented area in order to make sure that the items were preserved for future generations to enjoy. And art pottery is very endangered, every day more is damaged or broken so their needs to be quality pieces set aside.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

Advertising &Toys for me there proberly loads around already but its a collection I would love to get together ,

lloyd249 likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My last big yard sale before we moved had a lot of toys and advertising stuff. There were three women from Turkey who were buying up stuff to send back to their brother who was opening up a toy museum in Turkey. They spent over a thousand bucks buying a lot of my "stuff".
    greg

10. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

and with that, i would like to add to the question ,where would you open . I wouldn't want to have it here, where i am, i would die of boredom and starvation lol Montreal is where i would want mine , as they appreciate old and history .

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Charliebfc

Think that's it with toys all people from every nation of all section of society weather rich or poor can identify with toys even if you couldn't afford them .

From marbles ,wooden spin tops, own made to the latest high tech toys have played a part in someone's life.

lloyd249 likes this.
  12. Charliebfc

I would like to do it in my own town give my community something back

Then maybe it won't be do boring lol

lloyd249 likes this.
  13. Charliebfc

I would also like to open one on social history come to think about it .

In my local area were well known for impacting the world in social justice whether that be from the force established police force ,to the cooperative movement ,
    Or women's rights.In Manchester we have a peoples Museum very fascinating place visit it if you ever get the Chance

lloyd249 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted