Zeeuwse Knop or Not?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Jul 11, 2018.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This double 'knop' brooch is 1 3/4" by 7/8" and tests as silver (I have not nailed down the fineness). The knop design is similar to but not exactly like the Zeeuwse knop pieces I have found online (Dutch in origin...@AnyJewelry). This design configuration is a little different though. And it has an affixed tag marked Tchecoslovaquie (Czechoslavakia) on the back. Would this still be a 'Zeeuwse knop' piece? What might the time frame be? Your thoughts...? Thanks for looking! IMG_4477-2.jpg IMG_4481-2.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Between the two wars in terms of date.

Figtree3, wenna, judy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This is a 'Tsjechische knop'.:D (A Czech button.)
    Zeeuwse means from Zeeland, a province in the southwest of The Netherlands. It is used in other parts of country as well, but never as much as in Zeeland.
    A Dutch Zeeuwse knop or knoop is slightly more intricate, but the general idea of your brooch is similar to the Zeeuwse knoop. The design appears in slightly different variations in several parts of Europe. But nowhere as beautiful as in the Netherlands, of course.:smug:;)

Some examples of Zeeuwse knopen:
    [​IMG]
    They are commonly used as collar buttons or trouser buckles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Small ones on pins to secure lace caps, either to a smaller cap underneath, or to a precious metal brace around the head called an 'oorijzer':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On a brooch they are always an uneven number, unlike your Czech brooch:
    [​IMG]
    The back of a Zeeuwse knoop is closed with filigree:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Love the idea of using this as a collar brooch for men. Very stylish!

wenna and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know how the Czechoslovakian brooch was worn, but the Dutch collar buttons are actual buttons, that go through big buttonholes and are connected by a short chain. Here is a silver pair from my collection:
    upload_2018-7-13_13-39-48.jpeg

A male friend used to borrow them to wear on special occasions.:)

In other parts of the Netherlands the men used to wear silk neckerchiefs and wear a small brooch on it. Jewellery for men was normal, as it should be.
    Here is one from the province of Groningen, in the north. It has two coral cabochons and a natural pearl:
    upload_2018-7-13_13-47-16.jpeg

It looks big now, but is ca 3 cm wide. I took the photo when I got it years ago, in the meantime I have removed the verdigris.;) It is 835 silver, just like the buttons.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    AJefferson, wenna and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted