Zinc Map of London Underground

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sally Jennifer Wilkins, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Hi

I'm not sure what this was used for is it a template? Does anyone know who made it and what year it would be from? Thanks IMG_20191021_222049_resize_67.jpg IMG_20191021_222058_resize_57.jpg IMG_20191021_222202_resize_29.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's not a standard printing block; if printed, the lettering would come out backward. It has to be for some sort of printing though.

3. That's what I thought.. I wondered if it was a pressing. The map seems old.. But the lettering for the zinc manufacturer on back seems fairly modern? My partner has had knowledge of its existence for at least 25 years in his Mums house, his Dad was a salvage hunter.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Brilliant investigating Debora thankyou

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hardly. But thank you!

Debora

7. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Can't guess what kind of press that might've been run on (if any), but in "modern" offset printing, the image on the printing plate looks as it does on the finished product, not reversed.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It might have been used as an actual working map that did not crease, get wet and degrade and not rust whilst in use in tunnels and pipelines by the workforce.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you're selling that, I am seriously interested. It's not a printing plate, these were used in areas where sparks were a problem, hence the zinc.

Sally Jennifer Wilkins, Jivvy and Fid like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

;)....:eek:.....:stop: