Featured Zoltan White? Ring, amethyst, turquoise, sterling. Austro-Hungarian style.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this Austro-Hungarian style ring is by Zoltan White?
    It is very much in his style, and he made a lot of amethyst with turquoise jewellery. But it is not marked with his mark ZW&CO. It is simply marked STERLING.
    The Zoltan White jewellery I have seen online is either marked SILVER, STERLING, or STERLING SILVER, and ZW&CO.

I collect Austro-Hungarian jewellery, it is never sterling silver, and never marked as such. It either has Austro-Hungarian hallmarks, or just a fineness mark, sometimes a maker's mark, or no marks at all.
    So if this was made in Hungary (or Transylvania?), it was made for export.

upload_2019-2-10_13-54-58.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-10_13-55-17.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-10_13-55-45.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-10_13-56-44.jpeg

The information I have on Zoltan White is that he studied in Budapest and sold jewellery in London 1910-1940.
    Most sites call his jewellery Arts&Crafts, which it isn’t. It is classic Austro-Hungarian Renaissance Revival.
    They also say his jewellery was made in London, if so, why doesn’t it have London marks? No Zoltan White jewellery I see online has any British marks.
    I suspect he had his jewellery made in Hungary, where it was marked STERLING etc, and sold it in London. The unmatched turquoise cabochons also look very Hungarian or Transylvanian.
    And any other info on Zoltan White is welcome too. First name Hungarian, last name English, did he change it?

Thank you for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    BMRT, KSW, scoutshouse and 11 others like this.
  2. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

KSW, scoutshouse, i need help and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Phaik Hooi.:) Pity she doesn't show the Made in England stamp, but that mark would be a bit iffy for English made silver anyway, wouldn't it? English made silver has to be assayed and stamped as such by the assay office.
    It is. I've tried silver polish on it, and alcohol, no result. I think it was blackened at the same time as the outside decoration. Someone polished it afterwards, but not inside the letters. Can't get the staff...:rolleyes:

4. Phaik Hooi

true :oops:

toothpick?:hilarious:

had a peek at his stuff, those zoltan white & co items are quite nice :)

5. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Very beautiful! I love learning new things about jewelry. :) Thank you for the explanation.

6. Any Jewelry

Toothpick with silver polish! I am picky when it comes to cleaning.:playful:
    Thanks, Barn.:)

7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

AJ, does the back of the setting area on yours look like the one in the link?
    Patd

8. Any Jewelry

No, it doesn't have that engraving. It looks more like some of the Zoltan White amethyst and turquoise rings, except a little rough, which is a feature of Transylvanian jewellery.
    The thing is, there is no consistency in backs, etc. Another reason why I think he had them made in Hungary, possibly by different makers. Also, the coral ring looks much more delicate than his other pieces.

Transylvanian jewellery is badly finished on the reverse side, but rare and highly collectible. If this would turn out to be a Transylvanian piece I would be extremely happy. It would be more valuable, and older.
    But I'm pretty sure it isn't, with that sterling mark.

9. Any Jewelry

10. Phaik Hooi

11. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

what's the kind of the stones aj?turquoise?

KSW, scoutshouse, i need help and 3 others like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

KSW, kyratango, scoutshouse and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Wow, thanks, Phaik Hooi! So I am not the only person the elusive Zoltan White has running in circles.:hilarious:
    The book could be a catalogue? I hope I come across it some time. Or someone on the forum does.

KSW, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Yes, central stone amethyst, smaller stones European turquoise.

KSW, scoutshouse, judy and 4 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It certainly does, thank you Kiko.:)
    I think mine is the Zoltan White style, but the mark, or lack thereof, has me puzzled. And English jewellery without assay marks....
    But it seems I'm not the only one.

KSW, kyratango, scoutshouse and 4 others like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen Zoltan White before, at least knowingly. The front of Any's ring looks Middle-Eastern, but the shank sure doesn't. It looks Turkish on the front and German on the back, so Romanian makes sense.

KSW, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

The style was originally inspired by Renaissance jewellery, hence the unusual combination of stones and exotic look of the decorations.
    It was made in the Austro-Hungarian Renaissance Revival style, which is one of my favourite styles.

The Transylvanian take on the Austro-Hungarian Renaissance Revival style was made by or for the Siebenbürger Sachsen, a powerful minority in Transylvania. Although they were called Sachsen, Saxons, not all of them were of Saxon origin. Most were descendants of Medieval immigrants from the western German lands and the neighbouring eastern part of the Low Countries, who had been invited to Transylvania to develop the region.
    It is believed the fairy tale of the pied piper was based on the emigration of so much young talent from west to east.

As you can see, the Siebenbürger Sachsen didn't mind a bit of show, including bling. They also look pretty northern European:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'd have to mortgage your house to be able to buy one of those belts now, extremely rare bling.:jawdrop:

BMRT, kyratango, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those coats the guys have one wouldn't be far behind.

kyratango, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  19. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

beautiful ring aj!

20. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous, aren't they? And you can see the usual strong Hungarian influence in the embroidery.
    At the moment over 30% of the population is Hungarian, and over 10% 'Saxon'. At the time that photograph was taken those numbers would have been higher.

kyratango, scoutshouse and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted