Featured Zuni screw-back earrings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by say_it_slowly, Feb 5, 2021.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

In these wintery Covid days I'm sorting out closets which is long overdue. I am the least bejeweled person I know so I have an assortment of things with only vague memories of what they are and could use some verification help. I will likely just label the better things and see if my kids want them.

Anyway, these screw-back earrings belonged to my mother. We lived in Tucson, AZ from about 1956 until 1961 or so and I believe these most likely were acquired at that time. We travelled regularly throughout AZ. My brother and his wife have spent many of the last 50 years in AZ so could possibly have been a gift from them at a later date. I think I remember seeing them long ago but I've had them since 2001 when my mom passed.

Anyway, they are only marked on the end of the screw part and just say sterling, they are 1¼" high. I'd guess they are turquoise, coral, onyx and shell but just a guess. (Very dirty I know.) Thank you:)
    upload_2021-2-5_14-41-52.png

upload_2021-2-5_14-42-24.png

upload_2021-2-5_14-42-48.png

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice.
    a siggy would be nicer !!
    at that time ..black vinyl was also used as inlay..

4. say_it_slowly

KSW and i need help like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Vinyl? Who'd have thought?

We also often went to Mexico so my childhood memories are of Native Am. silver and also Mexican silver. Loved it all:) Can't always tell the difference though and jewelry is not my thing:shy:.

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. komokwa

that usually comes of with rubbing some cigarette ash on it..

7. komokwa

Jet & onyx were use for black inlay......but , was not always readily available..
    Vinyl records were though..and filled the need !

8. say_it_slowly

(Ugh reminds me, my vinyl records are in a different closet that also needs sorting :banghead:)

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The screw-backs are original; they were made that way in the 50s and well into the 60s. As a screwback wearer, I look for them. (I'd have to wear gold otherwise, and everything I like is vintage and generally costume, so....)

KSW, say_it_slowly and i need help like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

Thank you all for your help:)

KSW and i need help like this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

They’re very nice, not converted and mid century. Check the materials. I think they’re onyx but IF they are black plastic as Komokwa
    suggested as a possibility they become Depression Southwestern earrings which makes them oddly more collectible than if they’re onyx as they’re much rarer. Yes they’re Zuni but if selling in the US (didn’t check to see where you are) they must be called “Southwestern” instead.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Did they already make this style during the Depression? I thought this multi-stone inlay started in the 40s?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    judy, KSW and say_it_slowly like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

I am in the US but won't be selling them, just passing them on as I have three daughters. They can sell if they want. As the bits are small, how would I tell onyx from vinyl? For rocks I usually tap on my teeth but these are too small.

judy, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen these made with synthetics but since Komokwa has I can go with it. As far as the use of the term “depression” goes, there’s such a long history of abject poverty among so many of the tribes that the use of “junker” materials continued well past the Depression into the 60s and later so the term applied to that kind of jewelry well past the 30s although in my own experience Depression jewelry was really about Santo Domingo (Kewa)Pueblo jewelry and I’ve never really heard it applied elsewhere but if Zuni Pueblo used synthetics it’s a legit term to use IMO.

Today, Depression jewelry is so popular that it’s being newly made. Basically one wants to look for the old gypsum beads on cotton.

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I should add that the ones actually made of records with labels showing on the back are highly prized. I don’t own any of those but I have the old car battery backed ones with gypsum, turquoise and red plastic. I love them and would probably let go of my silver before I’d let go of my Depression pieces.

Meanwhile I do think these Zuni earrings are all stone and very nice.

16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I could tell in hand but not from a pic. IMO they’re stone.

say_it_slowly and judy like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!
    I agree.

say_it_slowly and reader like this.
  19. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

Here are mine (unmarked with post backs). If I were to sell I would say "attributed to Vera Luna". zuni.jpg

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOVE those!

Any Jewelry and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted