Featured Acquired old Simmons furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Isaiah808, May 17, 2019.

1. Isaiah808

Isaiah808 New Member

9C5E4425-CB52-4BF2-B39D-D2944435DDE5.jpeg 129CAE77-46E5-4F86-9F6F-03EB483DFB0F.jpeg DF84948A-8550-4C89-9232-8D394A04C24F.jpeg Hi, first post here as I just acquired a set of older metal bedroom furniture. Can anyone tell me if I got something worth restoring? I live in Hawaii and there isn’t much rust. Well... relatively speaking... there are no dates but it does have a sticker with Simmons on it. I also have a bed frame that is not pictured. Any response is greatly appreciated

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not a lot of time this morning but your set does have the desired lines that people want in Simmons furniture. Possibly designed by Norman Bel Geddes. Since it is in good original condition, I wouldn't do much more than clean and apply a coat of wax. We have several threads here on Simmons furniture that you may want to look through.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yes, by Bel Geddes...

Simmons Metal Dresser

I'm not sure if this is the Sleepright "line". Originally, steel furniture suites like these were sold as fireproof for hotels.

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  4. scoutshouse

Very collectible :)

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  5. scoutshouse

decorative arts trust
    The Lure of Enameled Steel in the Interwar Period

Interesting article about what really was popular back then. Hint: not Norman Bel Geddes streamlined modern

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. verybrad

Little more time today.

Here is a previous thread that has the most information.....

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/i...er-how-to-identify-if-its-a-bell-geddes.6234/

There is a lot of conjecture about which pieces are by Bel Geddes. The set presented here by the OP is generally attributed to Geddes but I am not 100% sure about that. What I do know, is that the pieces presented at the Chicago World's Fair designed by Geddes were not of this type. Here are a couple examples of the furniture shown at the fair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There were variations offered that generally fit the same Bel Geddes mold.....

[​IMG]

These pieces go off in a different direction but are still often attributed to Geddes. There is no verification of this that I know of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that these pieces above really don't resemble the OP's furniture all that much. This piece does resemble the OP's but fits the Bel Geddes esthetic better.

[​IMG]

What this all boils down to is that there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the attribution of Simmons furniture to Norman Bel Geddes. What is known is that Simmons presented furniture designed by him at the World's Fair that had chrome accents. It is also known that Simmons did not fully embrace the new design esthetic for many years after the fair. Simmons did eventually introduce new modern lines of furniture as is evidence by examples shown here and numerous other examples elsewhere. What is not known is how extensive Bel Geddes' involvement was with the company.

While I am not an expert on Simmons furniture, I have done a fair amount of research in to this. My feeling is that most Simmons furniture attributed to Geddes, was not directly designed by him. The lag between the World's fair and Simmons' production of most of their modern furniture does not lend credence to his continued involvement. I would like to see some solid research that proves otherwise. In the meantime, sellers will continue to attribute designs to Geddes without solid merit.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. scoutshouse

This Dreaming Global article includes @Isaiah808 's end table in a gallery of bedroom furniture they attribute to Bel Geddes... Written by Ed Steeds, some kind of sleep historian who has worked for Simmons for 23 years. Fascinating website!

If I can figure out how to contact him, he might be able to provide more specific documentation from Simmons catalogs.

Norman Bel Geddes Designs “Machine Age” Metal Bedroom For Simmons

Screenshot_2019-05-18-09-47-48_1558198135058.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-18-09-30-33_1558197105571.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  8. verybrad

I am not sure that you can infer that this is an attribution to Geddes for all the products shown. Note the underlined portion in particular.

From the above website: "In the early 1920s Zalmon Simmons II hired the most famous “futurist” designer to create a stylish line of Simmons metal bedroom furniture which became world famous. Here are some of those consumer products Simmons sold."

Agree that this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Figtree3, judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. scoutshouse

I'm game to try...

Did you take a look at his site and history?

verybrad and James Conrad like this.
  10. Isaiah808

Isaiah808 New Member

Wow. You are all awesome. And I appreciate your thorough and very informative responses. I definitely enjoy older designs, and things like this. normally it’s hard to find metal furniture that’s this old and not completely rusted through here in Hawaii. Now I’m left with the decision of keeping it or trying to sell it. If my house was larger, maybe the decision wouldn’t be so difficult.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion, i find it odd that furniture that is so recent, 1920s-30s and not quite "antique" , there is confusion/misinformation about attribution on the designer. I suspect much of this confusion is market driven, if you can connect a famous designer to the piece.............
    Makes me feel better about the attribution of much older furniture, the more things change, the more they remain the same. :cigar:

Ghopper1924, verybrad and judy like this.
  12. verybrad

I did. It seems his primary interest is in the history and evolution of the mattress. He may also have the knowledge or ability to access the information that we seek. I just don't think solid attribution is clear from what is currently on his site.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  13. verybrad

BINGO!

Ghopper1924, judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, It's ALWAYS about the dollars! :rolleyes:

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  15. scoutshouse

Hi @Isaiah808
    I just sent of a note to Ed Steed, asking (if he would be so kind) for any suggestions on finding more documentation on Simmons Art Deco and Streamline steel furniture. Hopefully, I'll hear back from him :)

...based on Windsor, Chippendale, and Sheraton styles. Bel Geddes Art Deco designs were the first to feature a specific designer - I guess :)

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted