Featured £1000 REWARD if you identify a painting!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Antiquer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Javamanjoe likes this.
  2. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

That looks like a small meeting of Democrats. Is that Nancy Pelosi on the right??

Javamanjoe likes this.
  3. Javamanjoe

Javamanjoe Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think someone went to a lot of effort to do an elaborate copy or created something they hoped mostly looked original! Look down between the legs of the Main figure in question.....I guess it's supposed to be a scabbard for a sword....but the angle doesn't go towards anyone correctly......looks more like a cat's tail!!! Also....top right arch.....isn't that a rather surrealistic "castle/building" for the scene that someone put all that work into????? Something seems fishy to me, never mind the £1000 reward...................!:blackalien::blackalien::phantom:

Christmasjoy, ksminsf and Javamanjoe like this.
  5. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Let me preface by saying a little bit of knowledge is dangerous...and I have less than a little in this arena. I'm still having fun with this painting though. I see from your site you've contacted several museums. Can I assume one of them was the Rijks? Perhaps a major coincidence, but the whimsical style of the rock formation in this work is similar to Jan Mostaert. Also, I can see some similarities in the works of Geertgen tot Sint Jans, particulary in "The Adoratoration of teh Magi". The Rijks has many works by both artists, so I was wondering if they could prove helpful in the provenance of your painting. Ok, I need to let this go. I love a good mystery and now have grown to have an unnatural fondness for the duck-billed shoe!

6. Javamanjoe

Javamanjoe Member

And i thought that it was just me who was growing fond of them...:woot:

7. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

It's a Netherlandish Painting...

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have no idea, nor a lot of time to research something that has already been so thoroughly researched... but -- I think it's cool that the painting's owner found this discussion!

ksminsf likes this.
  9. hemerada

hemerada New Member

Hi all

Thanks for all the comments.

Just to let you know the prize for this art history mystery has now increased to £5,000. Happy hunting!

Draft saved Draft deleted