Featured 10 foot mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel Wilson, Nov 11, 2018.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Or if it was commissioned or hung in a famous residence. Provenance would be required to attain the price you are thinking of.

cxgirl, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

For $200 I'd definily buy it and just cut a hole in my roof :)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& that's what's being done here....more research !
    If Brad found similar items...in the $ 20,000 range.....he'd be quick to show them...we all would.
    So , yes...more research is still required.........but...just a thought....
    the super rich , did not get that way....by tossing out $ 30,000 items...;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

mmarco102 and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

@Daniel Wilson

The final values on pier mirrors appear to have gone down a lot...

A receipt showing when they paid $30k might give more facts about its origin (but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll sell for that today) .

Hopefully, they had a professional appraisal done calculating replacement cost. That would be on the high (retail) end as there would be no need to negotiate - the insurance company has to cut a check for that amount.

When was it done - appraisals should be recalculated every two to three years to keep up with market fluctuations.

Where was it done - regional values differ.

All that said, appraisals don't give resale values. I'd cut an up-to-date appraisal value in half, to start with.

Then start deducting auction house fees and expenses from that.

It's a great mirror, but you need to find out as much as you can about it.

Other factors, like bases and pairs can make a big difference in price.of course, condition is king.

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  5. scoutshouse

@i need help

Was it you who helped @Daniel Wilson upload his photos? I notice you do help out with that a lot - much thanks for that!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you! :)

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, INH is on the case that way! Odd how so many find it hard to load photo's on this site, they make it pretty easy. Glad he/she is around to help them though!

judy, Mugzinnys and i need help like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes - easiest forum to put pics on for sure. If all else fails you can even drag and drop them in your reply (As long as they are not to large)

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

He/She/Robot? :hilarious::droid:

Mugzinnys and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

lol, Yes! I am dealing with a bunch of bots in here!

judy, Mugzinnys and i need help like this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Oh no the bots are back

very nice mirror

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  12. scoutshouse

Yes, this site is amazing - it saves my partial replies while I'm checking alerts, I can navigate back to a thread to complete.

My only wish is to be able to upload multiples, I had no idea you could drag and drop!

judy and i need help like this.
  13. scoutshouse

I forgot - one other BIG factor to consider is FASHION. Certain kinds of opulence are always in fashion - High Hollywood Regency comes to mind, whatever that means - it's a broad range depending on who's interpreting it.

I'd go there.

i need help likes this.
  14. Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson Member

Thank you, everyone for all the feedback.... I am very green to all antiquing. I appreciate all the helpful comments. The wealthy clients are dear friends of our and knew that this mirro could help our family out. It’s not that they just wasted the money they spent on it so much as they were doing us a solid.

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Danny....stuff like that can make a big difference on how we see or talk about an item presented here..........

I would never think to cast aspersions on 'dear friends' of anyone here....
    but if one does not give us a known history....of the item...how they got it..why they got it....or where it came from.....well then.....I can only give general comments to the best of my beliefs...

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson Member

I totally understand....We will be in contact with them soon hopefully we will get a decent amount of information about the the mirror. Thank you for your time.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  17. scoutshouse

Your mirror was fun for us, @Daniel Wilson

MANY people post on antiquers with only the story they were told of extreme age, rarity and value... That's why we were twitting you a little for your photos. :)

Then, you delivered those images and a lot of us were really pleasantly surprised to see something that wasn't a repro or an outright piece of junk!

That's why: ZOIKS!!!

It's fun for us! I'm so curious to hear any provenance your friends can give you that'll generate the most interest and help you get the highest value for your mirror.

Please check out that provenance link above :)

i need help and komokwa like this.
  18. Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson Member

Well I hope I can deliver the goods again, with the provenance. Thanks again for all the guidance.

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  19. Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson Member

I IMG_3126.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3128.JPG thought y’all might enjoy this old bellows someone made into a coffee table. It was in a 2.5 million dollar remodel in a old house in Shreveport La.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted