Featured 1890's Writing Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jstrat1392, Sep 16, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

:bigtears:

scoutshouse, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. jstrat1392

jstrat1392 Member

It was removed because the clock would not fit on top in the builder’s mother’s home. Not sure where it went from there

judy, scoutshouse and Jivvy like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure how I can help. Story seems entirely plausible and the desk certainly dates to the time period suggested, though the styling might be even a bit earlier. Think it possible that the clock works could have come from the Ithaca Calendar clock Co. that was in operation in Ithaca at that time. However, if you have information that the clock was present at the time it was moved back to MI, I doubt an Ithaca connection would help much. The only possible help would be to find a picture of the clock and maybe the folks in Ithaca could help there...….

The Ithaca Clock Co seems to be the place for all matters related to this historic company. Note that there is a museum connection there as well.

https://ithacacalendarclock.com/

i need help likes this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Have you considered contacting family? I would suspect, with modern access to genealogical records, they would be find-able.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It would be fascinating to see if there were any kind of fitting remnants for said clock.
    If you mean to search for it, you'll need some idea of the dimensions.

Looks difficult to do, but would save you Mucho time.

If there is such a clock, one with that kind of out-there hand marquetry would be easier to filter out of all the conventional clocks out there.

It'd have to be a proportionally huge clock to fit up there. And much higher ergonomically than any grandfather/household clock I've seen. If it was used in a bank, or office, it'd make more sense (to me).

Also difficult to wind - or not, depending on how ingeniously the clock was built in.

It is wonderful - and mysterious, no?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    judy, James Conrad and Jivvy like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with James it would be hard to fit a clock on top, and I don't think you'll find the exact type without a picture of the old one, but there are a lot of clocks that would look correct: search for "gingerbread clock" https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Gingerbread+clock
    [​IMG]

judy and James Conrad like this.
  7. jstrat1392

jstrat1392 Member

Thanks Brad,

I'll contact the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co to see if they have any info

judy likes this.
  8. jstrat1392

jstrat1392 Member

We haven't as of yet.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted