Featured 2 gal antique pottery jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, May 9, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I have always had good luck with HA auctions. Well should I say used to. I have been out of the loop for awhile. But they were always quick to return emails an give estimates no charge.

verybrad, *crs* and Aquitaine like this.
  2. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

*crs* likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wouldn't that vent be for something that's totally liquid and needed to ferment????

judy and *crs* like this.
  4. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

The Southeastern Stoneware group must not be to active. It's been 14 hours since I asked to Join. I know via FB 4 members of the group. I just asked one of them to nudge the admins :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Geeze,,,,here all you need is a pulse to join ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::playful::playful::playful:
    Good luck !!

*crs* and Aquitaine like this.
  6. *crs*

I'm in another Stoneware group. I just put it in there also and joined another one and added the post to that group. Someone has to know something somewhere!

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the continued efforts!

*crs* likes this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@verybrad - I asked around the auction last night here in SC because there were guys who really know their Edgefield Pottery & they were there last night because we had a couple of pieces.

The consensus was they did not think it was Edgefield & no one had any idea about the vent hole.

I am assuming the cork can be removed. How big is the hole? Could it possibly be, if you can not remove the cork, that the hole was a defect which happened during firing & the potter just decided rather than waste the piece they would just plug it up?

verybrad and *crs* like this.
  9. komokwa

then they would have plugged it flat...to insure it didn't come out...

10. verybrad

Thanks for showing this around. Was not convinced this is Edgefield but have come up with nothing else similar. The vent hole is as made. The search continues.....

11. *crs*

Still not getting any responses in FB groups. Just getting likes. If I ever get an answer I'll let you know

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    verybrad and judy like this.
  12. komokwa

LIKE !!!!! :playful:

*crs* likes this.
  13. *crs*

Well, I finally got into the Southeastern Stoneware group. Post you jug this morning Brad and so far I have one response. And not a very nice one at that :wideyed::(

It's just a jug, the vent hole is unusual if done on purpose. I can't identify the Potter or region with the crack or without it I can see why Crocker farms turned it down. I wouldn't spend more time researching it, in this case research isn't going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

judy and verybrad like this.
  14. verybrad

LOL! .... Thanks for the attempt. Must be so rare it is worthless ;) Perhaps someone else will have something more informative.

judy, *crs* and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

Even if it is just a jug........they could of at least said it was a ' nice ' jug !!!

judy and *crs* like this.
  16. *crs*

You would think so. The person who made that comment name sounded familiar. So I investigated his profile and it is someone that I have dealt with over the years via his now defunct webpage. He had always came across as a friendly and responsive person.

verybrad likes this.
  17. verybrad

Giving the benefit of the doubt, some people have tunnel vision in regards to how they value things. For example, to some, I am sure this is pretty worthless if not identifiable as Edgefield or some other known maker. As to myself, I have no affinity for this kind of thing but can see some potential due to the unique form.

I was joking when I said it is so rare that it is worthless but there is some truth to this. People tend to be sheep when it come to liking and valuing things. If the experts and their peers have deemed something to be valuable, they are quick to jump on the band-wagon. Something out of left field can be seen as undesirable and unworthy of collecting. There are certainly those who buck trends in collecting but think they are fewer and farther between.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,
    Take out the cork, insert a long string, fill the jug with a flammable liquid and you have a nice old fashioned Molotov Cocktail.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. In 70 years of dealing with jugs and crocks I have never seen one with a plugged hole. Just keep it empty but with the string and label it "Antique Molotov Cocktail". At least it will a conversation piece.
    greg

verybrad and *crs* like this.
  19. verybrad

Still coming up blank. Find some similarity to Galena, IL pottery jugs but not quite right either. Still finding none with vent holes. Any new search terms to consider? Have tried crock jug, pottery jug, stoneware jug, redware jug, beehive jug, vented jug, vent hole jug, plugged hole jug, southern pottery jug, etc. Have looked extensively through Crocker Farm archives. Anything I am missing?

20. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Incised 2,
    And double check the term step-up spout.
    May visible exterior throwing rings.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted