Featured 3 Swords from Java? Need help with identification/dates please

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, May 8, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I sleep a lot, so you're in with a chance.:yawn:

kyratango, judy, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Doing a little reading on my own:

... the keris is widely believed to be endowed with mystical powers. How would you like to be able to eliminate your enemy by simply thrusting the keris into the enemy's footprints?

With folklore like that, how could you not love them, @Any Jewelry :)

3. Any Jewelry

Right again:playful: gotta love those keris.:happy:

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  4. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

Wow, I am so impressed and thankful. We moved all day today and I will be back at the house on Tuesday so can get more photos of the blades, etc., that you requested. I am so excited. But I am also so very tired that I can’t digest this yet. So, more coming next week!!!

judy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Nope, no more blades!!! I wish. Can’t wait to go take another close look and get the pics for all of you...

judy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Just to show that a keris can be a good keris without clear damascene-like pamor, two of my prized beauties. Both are meditation kerises.
    The absence of a clear pattern means the maker had to be good enough to make a perfectly shaped keris. These are made by 'empu keris', master keris smiths who were also mystics. Empu keris were held in very high regard, and often married into royalty.

The first one has a pamor putih, or white pamor. The entire surface is pamor metal (the greyish metal which usually causes the light designs on a blade).
    White kerises are extremely rare and used to be highly sought after by the nobility of Java and Madura. They stand for the quest for cosmic enlightenment.
    When Western collectors started to classify pamor patterns in the late 19th century, the emphasis shifted to strong pamor patterns, and the old appreciation and valuation was forgotten. The only mention I ever found of the significance of pamor putih was in a 19th century book on Javanese spirituality, which shows how unknown it is.
    This beauty was formerly owned by a well-known Dutch-Indonesian musician who was a bit of a mystic as well. After his passing the family wanted a good home for the white keris, not just any collector. That is how it came to me.

upload_2019-5-11_13-32-41.jpeg

You can see that is made in the same way as the usual blades, with the metal being folded and worked many times, causing those tiny patterns. The 'ganja wilut' or wavy crosspiece is also a valued detail.
    upload_2019-5-11_13-33-0.jpeg

Next is a black keris. Like the white one it has a real pamor pattern, just intentionally black. Black kerises stand for looking for enlightenment within yourself. They are also rare, but not as much so as white kerises.
    upload_2019-5-11_13-42-55.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_13-43-13.jpeg

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

@Any Jewelry I can’t wait to go look at my 3 swords and compare them to what you have here. We left them hanging on the wall at my sister’s house. Your swords are so incredibly beautiful and the fact that you have researched and really know what they meant, is wonderful. What a treasure you are to share all of what you know and have with us! Blessings to you, my friend...

kyratango, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

If I had found them I would have grabbed them in a heart beat ! With the Philippine edged weapons, the older tourist ones were really nice , and even "tourist" ones are a relative term as Americans were bringing these home since at least 1898 ( The Philippine ones ) , and any smart weapons maker would have been banging these out for the yankee dollar post 1899. In 2002 in Davao you could actually find some Philippine edged weapons that sort of fell in between , maybe tourist trade items made in the 1940- 1950 period. These days , just a lot of Tourist items made to look old with American period coins embedded in the handles. A few "real" ones in "antique" shops, at huge prices.
    Lots of similarities in style especially in the Moro weapons , the swords. I have a Panabas I bought at auction here in California that was listed in the catalog as an "ethnic Machete" that is 1900 period and beautiful and cost me a whole $65 .... my prize in my small collection.

9. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, Fireman, and that is often the way to find treasures, when people don't really know what it is.
    There are more keris from my collection on the forum, if you enter keris in the search box at the top of the page, you will find them.
    Here is one:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/rare-women’s-keris-from-east-java.18187/

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Almost zakly whut ah wiz gonna say but... (LIAR!). : c ) )

11. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:

12. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

I know I need to get some more pics EXACTLY as you requested (underside of the sheath) but I hope to do that tomorrow. Here are 2 close-ups of the bejeweled hilt sword... (I was unpacking all day today and am pooped...) CBAFBEBA-A545-476C-A142-1BF3D03508EE.jpeg 41E25C7B-81FC-4B89-B135-19EC67413E9B.jpeg

13. Any Jewelry

It is a lovely blade. Antique, older than the dress, which is more of the souvenir type. The jewels are glass set in brass.
    It has 11 curves, which is said to promote confidence and leadership qualities.

Balinese keris are not my forte, but the pamor pattern looks like a Balinese version of Kulit Semangka, 'water melon skin'. It is a very popular pamor, and one of the easier ones to make, with 16-24 layers.
    Kulit Semangka can be used by anyone (some pamors are reserved for specific professions), and is worn to promote easy social interaction and a way of making a living without too many difficulties.

Forging a good keris used to take time, even if it 'only' had 16 layers. Working on a good keris was only done on specific auspicious days, after long meditation.
    Very few keris makers still work like that, which is why they are never considered master keris makers. They are not held in the same regard as the mystics called Empu Keris.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  14. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

When my life calms down, I am going to go back and copy all of your wonderful analysis into one spot and keep it in a file cabinet for the next person who inherits this collection. With no heirs (my sis and I did not have children), that will be very interesting as our household items will most likely be sold off or given away... Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond. This has been such an education! I will post more pics at some point!!!

15. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, I am glad to be of help. Take your time, I know you have a lot on your plate right now.:)

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't...& I'll start a new thread for the keris I just got....later...;);)

kyratango, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Where, where! Are we there yet?:playful:

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

19. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

3 keris I came across in the week and if they are any good? I'd be forever greatful, or I could start a new post?

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Best to start a new thread. When you do, you can tag people by typing @username. If you have no luck they will likely come to your post, anyway. Or someone here can tag them for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted